Where can I even apply anymore? (1L summer job)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where can I even apply anymore? (1L summer job)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 pm

I sent out like 20 apps but they were all sent at the end of January and i am getting very nervous about not getting a legal summer job. I am at a T14 with exactly top 10% grades. Is their anywhere where I can even still apply to?

I checked and applied to anything my school has on symplicity and PSJD

thanks

BuckinghamB

Re: Where can I even apply anymore? (1L summer job)

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:35 pm

I know a lot of in-house jobs don't make decisions until substantially later in the semester, so definitely get going on those. I know I've seen a ton of other jobs that have a deadline of March 1st. Also, check your state/local government for opportunities. It might be a little late for judges at this point, but it couldn't hurt to call some chambers you're interested in to see if they're still looking. I'm sure some non-profits are still open, too (I know I've seen at least a couple). Don't panic, you'll get something, especially with your grades. Just start pumping out the apps now.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sent out like 20 apps but they were all sent at the end of January and i am getting very nervous about not getting a legal summer job. I am at a T14 with exactly top 10% grades. Is their anywhere where I can even still apply to?

I checked and applied to anything my school has on symplicity and PSJD

thanks

20 apps is not a lot. What kind of things did you apply to? If you've only been applying to firms then it's time to branch out. Don't rely on Symplicity, send a cover letter and resume to every organization you're even mildly interested in in your target market(s). You'll get something, you're volunteering to work for free after all.
Last edited by Nelson on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Everyone gets a 1L summer job, but 20 apps is nowhere near enough. Multiple that by 10 and you should be good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:34 pm

OP here. I know thats not enough. which is why im asking where else can i apply to? so far ive only applied to places with like offcial job postings. mostly PI and some private companies that have a legal internship program, like AMC, jet blue ect. what exactly is "in house" and how do i find these jobs? i am supposed to just email the contact number on random websites with my resume and cover letter? is it worth wastign time applying to random firms in NYC?

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I know thats not enough. which is why im asking where else can i apply to? so far ive only applied to places with like offcial job postings. mostly PI and some private companies that have a legal internship program, like AMC, jet blue ect. what exactly is "in house" and how do i find these jobs? i am supposed to just email the contact number on random websites with my resume and cover letter? is it worth wastign time applying to random firms in NYC?

that jet blue job you applied to = in-house. top 10% at t14 and you can't figure out what in-house counsel means?

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I know thats not enough. which is why im asking where else can i apply to? so far ive only applied to places with like offcial job postings. mostly PI and some private companies that have a legal internship program, like AMC, jet blue ect. what exactly is "in house" and how do i find these jobs? i am supposed to just email the contact number on random websites with my resume and cover letter? is it worth wastign time applying to random firms in NYC?

bro, if you are worried about even snagging a legal job at all right now, and you only had time to send out 20-ish apps at the end of january, NO IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME TO APPLY TO FIRMS ANYMORE. 1Ls don't get firm jobs, unless you're some kind of diversity superstar, at this point I would prioritize applications to jobs that are likely to take you. In-house is even a stretch, as those are mostly paid positions. Just do what you have time for, but start with like agencies and shit that are unpaid, b/c ull feel a lot better once you get offered something. then you can spend time on firms, in-house, etc

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Applies to 20 jobs, and panics about not yet getting a job... :roll:

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I applied to 100 federal judges when I was a 1L. I recommend a similar approach.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Yes. so this is what i dont get. u guys say its too late to apply to firms. is it too late for in-house? (im applying basicaly just to nyc) then whats left is PI and every internship program i could find i applied to. im trying to find applications, thats my problem. i wish i could apply to 1000 jobs, i just have no clue where i should send my apps to. it seems like if i spent time sending 1000 apps to law firms, that would be a waste and i wouldnt get jobs. so where do i apply?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 pm

do public interest-legal aid, neighborhood legal services need people, plus it will count as pro bono work ( some states require 50+ hours of pro bono to sit for the bar)..... keep the grades up and with anything on your resume to talk about at OCI, you should be ok

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Lincoln wrote:I applied to 100 federal judges when I was a 1L. I recommend a similar approach.

a little late for the federal judge game probably but I agree with the advice to SPAM employers.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Have you talked to your career office? I know they're not always helpful, but if you haven't, they probably have resources for identifying organizations that take 1L applications. They may not appear on symplicity because they may not be listed as specific positions requiring an actual job ad - more like a standing expectation that students will apply. For instance, judges don't usually advertise anywhere "I want an intern for these dates," they just accept applications as they come in (I mean, some judges post specific ads, but most just have general policies about taking interns that your career office should know). If you have students applying for/performing the same basic job every summer (and probably during the year), you may not actually advertise those positions, because schools know which organizations hire and what they want.

(If you have talked to your career office and they didn't have any info like this - sorry, ignore the above.)

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. so this is what i dont get. u guys say its too late to apply to firms. is it too late for in-house? (im applying basicaly just to nyc) then whats left is PI and every internship program i could find i applied to. im trying to find applications, thats my problem. i wish i could apply to 1000 jobs, i just have no clue where i should send my apps to. it seems like if i spent time sending 1000 apps to law firms, that would be a waste and i wouldnt get jobs. so where do i apply?

No, it's not too late for in-house, but like others have said it's probably a long shot. Google "Directory of Corporate Counsel" to get some ideas of where you could apply for those jobs. Find out who the GC is, and just shoot them an email with your resume asking about possible opportunities. It couldn't hurt.

Again, like others have said, SPAM the shit out of any possible employer who might have a job for 1Ls, even if they don't advertise it (but obviously don't make the CL too boilerplate). In fact, that's actually how I got my first 1L offer -- I went out on a limb and just applied even though there was no job posting. Talk to anyone you know who might know of something, no matter how tenuous the connection is.

Return to “Legal Employment”