Pick a Court of Appeal judicial internship over a firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pick a Court of Appeal judicial internship over a firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:09 pm

How would you rank a split 1L summer between a CoA judge in a state you want to practice and a firm, with a split firm summer or a whole summer with a firm?

I have the judge offer in hand, and have had one NLJ250 callback, and a couple coming other NLJ250's coming up. One of the firms (probably the best one) doesn't allow split summers, so if I get that offer I may have to figure out how to weigh it. Thanks.

Georgia Avenue

Re: Pick a Court of Appeal judicial internship over a firm?

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Firm. Money and chance of a post-grad offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 pm

I had a similar dilemma prior to my 1L summer. I chose the Circuit internship. The firm offer was from a firm that I knew I didn't want to go with my 2L summer, and I guess I had enough confidence in my grades that I could get "better" firms during 2L OCI. Whether or not that was the right choice, it worked out for me. The internship was an incredible experience, and it was a constant subject in my 2L OCI interviews. But as the poster above said, the money and chance at 2L summer (especially with this job market) is tough to turn down. Best of luck.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Go with the firm. Any prestige associated with a 1L CoA internship is entirely illusory.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 am

thesealocust wrote:Go with the firm. Any prestige associated with a 1L CoA internship is entirely illusory.

+1. The prestige factor fades pretty quick once you get to work. You can always do it during the school year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 am

Take the firm and it's not even close.
Anonymous User wrote:The internship was an incredible experience, and it was a constant subject in my 2L OCI interviews.

Pretty much any 1L summer job is going to be a constant subject in 2L OCI interviews.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 am

Is a split summer possible (i.e. will the judge be okay with you going second half)? I was able to do a judicial internship and an SA, but it just barely fit.

If not, firm.

hangtime813

Postby hangtime813 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am

adonai wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Go with the firm. Any prestige associated with a 1L CoA internship is entirely illusory.

+1. The prestige factor fades pretty quick once you get to work. You can always do it during the school year.

+1

I have CoA exp and law firm- you will definitely learn more practical stuff at the firm than writing opinions at the CoA. Prestige fades quick too.

Return to “Legal Employment”