When do NYC firms give advances to new hires?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When do NYC firms give advances to new hires?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm a 3L and I will be graduating in May and starting at a firm in early October. I know my firm offers incoming associates an advance to help with costs after graduation. It's only February so I don't want to ask them about it just yet. But does anyone know when NYC firms usually offer advances to new hires? Right after graduation? Right after the bar? Thank you.

desertlaw

Re: When do NYC firms give advances to new hires?

Postby desertlaw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Depends on the firm. Mine is sometime in April, I think. Just e-mail the cool recruiting lady/dude from your summer experience and I'm sure they'll give you an answer.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 pm

At least some firms do 3 months before your start date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Started in September, got my stipend in May.

I spent it all in a day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 am

Mine has two options for advances: one in March and one in June, but you have to ask for it. I guess my question is whether or not there's a point to even taking it. My gut says no since I don't really spend all that much money, but I'm trying to think if there's a reason to take it (they're paying BarBri/Bar Exam costs, moving expenses, etc. so I guess I don't see the point).

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine has two options for advances: one in March and one in June, but you have to ask for it. I guess my question is whether or not there's a point to even taking it. My gut says no since I don't really spend all that much money, but I'm trying to think if there's a reason to take it (they're paying BarBri/Bar Exam costs, moving expenses, etc. so I guess I don't see the point).

Remember time value of money :)

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm

kryptix wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mine has two options for advances: one in March and one in June, but you have to ask for it. I guess my question is whether or not there's a point to even taking it. My gut says no since I don't really spend all that much money, but I'm trying to think if there's a reason to take it (they're paying BarBri/Bar Exam costs, moving expenses, etc. so I guess I don't see the point).

Remember time value of money :)

Yep- if it's interest-free, why not? Better to have it just in case something comes up.

Return to “Legal Employment”