How Marketable after having law clerk exp during law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Marketable after having law clerk exp during law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 pm

I am a 2L at a midsized law firm as a part time law clerk in a big city market (think LA, NY, or SF). I like my firm a lot, but I just want to know how marketable this experience will be after I graduate. Is it marketable to big firms (i struck out at OCI)?

Grades arent as hot as they were 1L year, but think top 30% at school just outside tier 1.

Anonymous User

Re: How Marketable after having law clerk exp during law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Marketable? Probably not. If it's a niche practice, sure, having experience will help. 3L OCI is a complete joke even at the T14 so the biglaw ship has likely sailed for top third at a T2.

Your best bet is getting your current firm to hire you after graduation. If there is no chance of that, don't bother continuing with it past the semester. Focus on other midsized firms that might conceivably hire you if you work for them part time during 3L year and really impress them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 pm

How about for a 1L? Got a job i've been working at for a month as a law clerk (got it when mass applying for summer jobs, and decided to take it) Pays, which is nice, and super flexible. Just tell me partner when I'll be in, and they work around me. Plus I can come back to it after my summer. Is it worth trying to market it for second summer interviews? Not much of a detriment to my school schedule, so I don't imagine will hinder my grades at all.

I'm not the OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about for a 1L? Got a job i've been working at for a month as a law clerk (got it when mass applying for summer jobs, and decided to take it) Pays, which is nice, and super flexible. Just tell me partner when I'll be in, and they work around me. Plus I can come back to it after my summer. Is it worth trying to market it for second summer interviews? Not much of a detriment to my school schedule, so I don't imagine will hinder my grades at all.

I'm not the OP.

What do you even mean, trying to market it? You're doing it, right? So put it on your resume. It'll come up during interviews for OCI or it won't.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about for a 1L? Got a job i've been working at for a month as a law clerk (got it when mass applying for summer jobs, and decided to take it) Pays, which is nice, and super flexible. Just tell me partner when I'll be in, and they work around me. Plus I can come back to it after my summer. Is it worth trying to market it for second summer interviews? Not much of a detriment to my school schedule, so I don't imagine will hinder my grades at all.

I'm not the OP.

What do you even mean, trying to market it? You're doing it, right? So put it on your resume. It'll come up during interviews for OCI or it won't.

Any position you have will help you in that it's more experience and an opportunity to network and improve your resume. I currently intern for a Judge in the field I would like to end up in. This internship has been more beneficial to me in regards to networking than my prior firm job was, in that it's a small field and every partner and associate I speak with is intimately familiar with my Judge and the cases he works on.

If the position you have is paid and does not negatively impact your schedule, continue to do it. It won't hurt you, and it may help you in future interviews. Outside of that - a lot of law school is networking so just focus on it as a networking opportunity and make the most of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”