We'll see what happens.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

We'll see what happens.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:09 pm

I applied to a PI organization that I really want to work for in my home market, but they applied for funding and if it gets approved, they'd like to meet me. How do I handle this? If I apply to other places and get accepted I'll have to pass this off, and If I put my eggs in one basket, they can renege anytime. If I get accepted to both, am I allowed to just back out? I won't be able to meet with the PI org until after finals. Thing is, if I'm not getting the PI, I won't even have to fly there, which is a huge waste of money. Should I be honest and politely tell them so?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a PI organization that I really want to work for in my home market, but they applied for funding and if it gets approved, they'd like to meet me. How do I handle this? If I apply to other places and get accepted I'll have to pass this off, and If I put my eggs in one basket, they can renege anytime. If I get accepted to both, am I allowed to just back out? I won't be able to meet with the PI org until after finals. Thing is, if I'm not getting the PI, I won't even have to fly there, which is a huge waste of money. Should I be honest and politely tell them so?


That sounds fair to me (being honest, that is).

Also, it's always fair to renege as the employee, you've got to do what's best for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Okay, but I'm worried that it might sound incredibly rude. I'm basically saying "hey, don't make me waste money, decide now." Also saying I'd only come if you give me the job sounds bad. How do these situations go? Would they skype interview or ask for a writing sample?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, but I'm worried that it might sound incredibly rude. I'm basically saying "hey, don't make me waste money, decide now." Also saying I'd only come if you give me the job sounds bad. How do these situations go? Would they skype interview or ask for a writing sample?


I'm sure they know how these things go. Last year when I was applying to such organizations, I offered to skype or call them. But if they wanted me to fly out and weren't reimbursing me, I wouldn't even consider it. Honestly, it tells you a lot of about their organization and how much they care for you. It's not worth it for you.

User avatar
okinawa
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby okinawa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm

They don't want you to fly out until after they get funding, and they won't know until after finals? It doesn't sound like you jointly applied with them (some funding programs require this) so I don't see the problem. Apply elsewhere, accept an offer if you get one, and if not, talk to them after/if they get funding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 pm

No, they'll get funding soon. But, it's just that I won't spend a couple hundred to fly and interview them during school. I won't be able to interview them till after finals, then I won't know if I get the job or not. Also, skype interviews are very frightening for me, I have nightmares about lagging and not looking pretty on camera.

User avatar
okinawa
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby okinawa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Oh. In that case, if they get funding and offer a skype interview, just be an adult and deal with it.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't understand what the issue is. Is it that you don't want to take time to fly out there now, you don't want to do a Skype interview, you don't want to interview for other places if you could get this job you want, you don't want them to seek funding and then have you not be available, what is it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Cost is the problem. $$$. I don't want to do a skype interview, but I will if I have to (not an issue). I will interview for other places, but if I get an OK, I will drop everything. Yea, I don't want them to renege after I depend on them.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Don't stop looking for other places until you have a real offer (no just a fucking interview), and they have the funding to actually pay you.

I don't get how that relates to the cost of interviewing.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: We'll see what happens.

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Don't stop looking for other places until you have a real offer (no just a fucking interview), and they have the funding to actually pay you.

I don't get how that relates to the cost of interviewing.

Yeah, this. I don't really know what's complicated about your situation. Sounds like you hope to work at some particular office but they don't know if they can hire anyone and you don't know if you would be the one they'd hire if they could. So keep looking for other stuff. You seem to think they'll do a Skype interview, if you even get an interview, so what's the problem with money?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.