Job advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

So 2L here and have to make a choice today to take or lose a low level doj offer. It's an area I like but unpaid, no long term prospects, not an honors program. I have 2 SA screeners and a few higher ranking agencies still in play or very likely could stay a paid clerk at my current small firm doing niche work. OCS is pushing me to take the doj. Bird in the hand, tls, or gamble on a better offer coming through?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Job advice

Post by thesealocust » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 pm

The selfish play might be good here - accept the DOJ, then either ask if they'll let you split with a firm if you can get it, or keep interviewing with firms and go back on your acceptance with the DOJ if you can get one.

Ideal? Of course not. But nobody else has your best interests in mind, you have to look out for yourself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm

What do you mean, higher ranking agencies? I wouldn't count on a non-SLIP DOJ 2L getting you anywhere with the honors program post grad, but that's true of almost every other agency's 2L program too. Splitting is great if you can, and a volunteer position is a lot more likely to allow it.

Just remember that OCS doesn't care about you, your career, your future, or your happiness. They only care about how you make the school look.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:The selfish play might be good here - accept the DOJ, then either ask if they'll let you split with a firm if you can get it, or keep interviewing with firms and go back on your acceptance with the DOJ if you can get one.

Ideal? Of course not. But nobody else has your best interests in mind, you have to look out for yourself.
Do this.

I assure you the DoJ won't give a shit if you renege for something that pays actual money (like being a clerk at that firm or whatever)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”