Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Does anybody know what firms require or expect you to return to their firm for your 2L summer following a 1L summer internship? Or is this a general expectation across the board? I'm particularly interested in Texas firms.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Am pretty sure it's not across the board, but even so, they will let you know pretty clearly when they offer you the 1L gig if they have that expectation. Also, a position with a firm isn't an internship - it's a job.

justinp
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby justinp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Baker Botts and Fulbright & Jaworski both have return requirements (not sure how enforceable they are, but I certainly wouldn't want to risk trying to get out of it).

Andrews Kurth does not have a return requirement. Not sure about V&E or Bracewell.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 pm

justinp wrote:Baker Botts and Fulbright & Jaworski both have return requirements (not sure how enforceable they are, but I certainly wouldn't want to risk trying to get out of it).

Andrews Kurth does not have a return requirement. Not sure about V&E or Bracewell.


Correct on the BB and FJ having it. V&E doesnt. Bracewell, AK and LL do not.

Also unsure of how enforceable this is. Why would they want you to come back if you didnt enjoy it there and/or know you would not end up working there. That just seems like it costs them more money than they need to pay out...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 pm

BB this year has a requirement to return 5 weeks at the beginning of your 2L summer (Dallas at least)

Not sure how enforcement would work. They can't make you work. Not sure how this works at OCI since you would have to renege to accept an offer with another first half firm (I believe).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BB this year has a requirement to return 5 weeks at the beginning of your 2L summer (Dallas at least)

Not sure how enforcement would work. They can't make you work. Not sure how this works at OCI since you would have to renege to accept an offer with another first half firm (I believe).


FJ informed me that it was any 4 weeks during the 9 weeks they offer their summer program.

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby PMan99 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm

My firm didn't require anything, but it was generally expected that you'd come back at least for a couple weeks and your offer wouldn't remain open unless you did so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Got offers from all of big three in texas so this is how it works out.

FJ is 4 weeks and BB is 5 weeks return.

FJ 4 weeks must be done during their typical program dates, which means even though its short, it will conflict with a split summer for non-texas firms.

BB's 5 weeks is more flexible. They are willing to work with you about when it can be done though historically nobody has managed to come and do their 5 weeks more than 2 weeks after the end of their program. In rare cases, they can reduce to 4 weeks.

Both BB and FJ makes this return policy clear in their offer letter

VE has no obligation though an informal expectation to return, obviously, exists.

Technically, a return expectation in offer letter isn't enforceable legally. In addition, it breaches NALP guidelines. Nevertheless, nobody raises a ruckus about it usually most people who go to texas for 1L SA has connections there and usually intend to go there for 2L SA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got offers from all of big three in texas so this is how it works out.

FJ is 4 weeks and BB is 5 weeks return.

FJ 4 weeks must be done during their typical program dates, which means even though its short, it will conflict with a split summer for non-texas firms.

BB's 5 weeks is more flexible. They are willing to work with you about when it can be done though historically nobody has managed to come and do their 5 weeks more than 2 weeks after the end of their program. In rare cases, they can reduce to 4 weeks.

Both BB and FJ makes this return policy clear in their offer letter

VE has no obligation though an informal expectation to return, obviously, exists.

Technically, a return expectation in offer letter isn't enforceable legally. In addition, it breaches NALP guidelines. Nevertheless, nobody raises a ruckus about it usually most people who go to texas for 1L SA has connections there and usually intend to go there for 2L SA.


Which did you decide to go with? And was it Houston or Dallas? I also got multiple offers from big 3 for 1L. It was a hard choice

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Required/Expected Return After 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm

^^^^

VE Houston




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.