2L In-House-->Biglaw Post-Grad?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L In-House-->Biglaw Post-Grad?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:53 am

Slightly above median at T20, struck out at OCI. This summer I'll be working for a large in-house department (40-50 attorneys) with a transactional IP focus. What are the chances I can land a Biglaw job next year in transactional IP or IP Lit.? I know 3L OCI is a joke.

thesealocust

Re: 2L In-House-->Biglaw Post-Grad?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 am

Very close to zero. The one caveat is that IP is a relatively hot market, so if you really have background to leverage you might have better odds than the other 45,000 law students that also didn't get a big firm job for their 2L summer.

ajr

Postby ajr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly above median at T20, struck out at OCI. This summer I'll be working for a large in-house department (40-50 attorneys) with a transactional IP focus. What are the chances I can land a Biglaw job next year in transactional IP or IP Lit.? I know 3L OCI is a joke.

I would think your best bet is to make contacts at the firms the company uses, and try to make a favorable impression on them.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 am

thesealocust wrote:Very close to zero.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 am

rad lulz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Very close to zero.

So you're saying there's a chance.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 am

ajr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly above median at T20, struck out at OCI. This summer I'll be working for a large in-house department (40-50 attorneys) with a transactional IP focus. What are the chances I can land a Biglaw job next year in transactional IP or IP Lit.? I know 3L OCI is a joke.

I would think your best bet is to make contacts at the firms the company uses, and try to make a favorable impression on them.

+1. It happens. Make the most of the connections you meet at the company, and don't be afraid to ask for their help with the firm job search if they're understanding of the fact that you want to end up at a firm (which they should be).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 am

ajr wrote:

I know somebody who got biglaw this way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 am

grades, grades are everything

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ajr wrote:

I know somebody who got biglaw this way.

Ditto. It's totally possible, OP. Get the Guerilla Tactics book and network/mass mail your butt off during your summer. The people at the company can help you if you know how to play it. Good luck!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:grades, grades are everything

At this point? Highly unlikely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:15 pm

cinephile wrote:

Every person I know who got a 3L job offer is law review or top 20% type here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cinephile wrote:

What does "here" mean. At least provide rank of school. "Here" can mean anything from Cooley to Stanford.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Okay, let's sad that's true. But you say grades are everything - so clearly law review doesn't matter, and also at this point in the game straight As can only lift your GPA so much, depending on where you are now, top 20% will be a long road if it's even possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cinephile wrote:

What does "here" mean. At least provide rank of school. "Here" can mean anything from Cooley to Stanford.

i am at a t14. People with average grades should just give up on 3L OCI. It is hopeless except for the few good students who want to trade up for better firms.

You might network really well outside of 3L OCI to get a few small and mid-law interviews but don't expect anything from big law.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i am at a t14. People with average grades should just give up on 3L OCI. It is hopeless except for the few good students who want to trade up for better firms.

You might network really well outside of 3L OCI to get a few small and mid-law interviews but don't expect anything from big law.

We aren't talking about 3L OCI. We're talking about using the in-house summer job to get big law. It happens.

OP, remember that many firms don't come to OCI to fill one or two 3L spots that open up at the last minute. Your boss and colleagues will be working with outside firms every day, and it's so easy for them to slip in a bit of praise for you every once in a while. Networking is what you need to focus on this summer - 3L OCI is a joke, as you know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i am at a t14. People with average grades should just give up on 3L OCI. It is hopeless except for the few good students who want to trade up for better firms.

Did those top 20% student strike out as 2Ls? I am in the position where I could probably reach top 25% with a good semester this Spring, but I have no 2L SA... Also at t-14.

Return to “Legal Employment”