Deferring T6 for Biglaw paralegal work abroad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deferring T6 for Biglaw paralegal work abroad?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:11 am

Hi all, I've looked through past threads on deferring for paralegal work, but in my case my #1 goal is to eventually work in a particular non-english speaking country, most likely in Biglaw. I've spent about 3.5 years after undergrad in non-corporate work, have been accepted at HCN, but would like to better position myself to work abroad by solidifying my language skills in said country and strengthening my resume.

Is it worth it to defer a year for paralegal work at a V20 firm in a foreign country? How important is it to have near-native fluency in a foreign language in order to work at a satellite office?

goldeneye

Silver

Re: Deferring T6 for Biglaw paralegal work abroad?

Post by goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I've looked through past threads on deferring for paralegal work, but in my case my #1 goal is to eventually work in a particular non-english speaking country, most likely in Biglaw. I've spent about 3.5 years after undergrad in non-corporate work, have been accepted at HCN, but would like to better position myself to work abroad by solidifying my language skills in said country and strengthening my resume.

Is it worth it to defer a year for paralegal work at a V20 firm in a foreign country? How important is it to have near-native fluency in a foreign language in order to work at a satellite office?
That sounds like an awesome experience regardless. Do it.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 am

Yes. Professional work experience, particularly relevant work experience, is always worth it IMO.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 am

YES! and take me with you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 am

Thanks for all the responses. I take it you disagree with the naysayers on TLS of paralegal work.

I guess my main concern is that it would be mostly non law-related secretarial work and that the benefit of the experience to OCI wouldn't be worth another year of forgone post-JD income.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I take it you disagree with the naysayers on TLS of paralegal work.

I guess my main concern is that it would be mostly non law-related secretarial work and that the benefit of the experience to OCI wouldn't be worth another year of forgone post-JD income.
life experiences. you have many years to waste away in this country doing real law work. especially at a t6.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I've looked through past threads on deferring for paralegal work, but in my case my #1 goal is to eventually work in a particular non-english speaking country, most likely in Biglaw. I've spent about 3.5 years after undergrad in non-corporate work, have been accepted at HCN, but would like to better position myself to work abroad by solidifying my language skills in said country and strengthening my resume.

So how is NYU?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:07 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 am

piccolittle wrote:Yes. Professional work experience, particularly relevant work experience, is always worth it IMO.
Big law firms seem to value paralegal work almost exactly zero. The old Dean at Northwestern didn't even consider it real work experience. I don't know why this is true, but it is. Seems like it gets you a courtesy interview though. Though maybe not if you burn your bridge by quitting after a year.

However, it might be good to 1)see how you like working in big law 2) the foreign language skills.

Delaying law school isn't a big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:

So how is NYU?
From what I've read, sounds like a great school in a great location, though I'll know more after I visit for ASW. To be honest, though, I'm leaning more towards Harvard or Columbia. I know lots of people poo-poo on international dual-degree programs, but Columbia has some pretty awesome ones that I'm hoping will help land a position abroad.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 am

I don't really see the point unless you simply want to go galavanting for a year. I doubt if it will improve your employabillty in any meaningful way. Or even give you a taste for a biglaw lawyer's work in any meaningful way.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 am

Desert Fox wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Yes. Professional work experience, particularly relevant work experience, is always worth it IMO.
Big law firms seem to value paralegal work almost exactly zero. The old Dean at Northwestern didn't even consider it real work experience. I don't know why this is true, but it is. Seems like it gets you a courtesy interview though. Though maybe not if you burn your bridge by quitting after a year.

However, it might be good to 1)see how you like working in big law 2) the foreign language skills.

Agree with this. Firms seem to have three categories:
a) Real Work: teacher, consultant, accountant etc; this is a bonus during interviews.
b) Work: paralegal, admin. assistant etc; this is kind of a broad work bonus, but there is nothing specific about it. Meaning you might be valued for working, but not for having the particular job you had.
c) No Work.

Overall though I would recommend it so that you can have good stories to talk about. Bored interviewers appreciate that.
Btw, your desire to work abroad in a non-english country as a biglaw attorney sounds to me incredibly naive. If you want to go to France, you should have done it as an undergrad, or do it under a teaching abroad/working abroad thing. Do not hope of doing it by lateraling/transferring yourself in that market as a biglaw attorney.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:27 am

Pokemon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Agree with this. Firms seem to have three categories:
a) Real Work: teacher, consultant, accountant etc; this is a bonus during interviews.
b) Work: paralegal, admin. assistant etc; this is kind of a broad work bonus, but there is nothing specific about it. Meaning you might be valued for working, but not for having the particular job you had.
c) No Work.

Overall though I would recommend it so that you can have good stories to talk about. Bored interviewers appreciate that.
Btw, your desire to work abroad in a non-english country as a biglaw attorney sounds to me incredibly naive. If you want to go to France, you should have done it as an undergrad, or do it under a teaching abroad/working abroad thing. Do not hope of doing it by lateraling/transferring yourself in that market as a biglaw attorney.
Egregious teacher trolling. It's probably close to C than A. Teaching for several years is glorified babysitting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 am

Pokemon wrote: Overall though I would recommend it so that you can have good stories to talk about. Bored interviewers appreciate that.
Appreciate the candidness. I understand that it is a small minority of JD-holders that practice abroad, and it can be even more competitive for certain regions, but from scouring firm websites and speaking with attorneys, I am under the impression that lateraling is possible, and more realistic than going directly from law school to abroad.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote: Overall though I would recommend it so that you can have good stories to talk about. Bored interviewers appreciate that.
Appreciate the candidness. I understand that it is a small minority of JD-holders that practice abroad, and it can be even more competitive for certain regions, but from scouring firm websites and speaking with attorneys, I am under the impression that lateraling is possible, and more realistic than going directly from law school to abroad.
Many things are possible, but also do not forget that law has changed. Today, it is a success to stay in biglaw for more than six years... nevermind transfer abroad.

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
While this maybe true, your work experience as a paralegal there, and a better knowledge of the language is not going to put you at any significant advantage. You are better off starting at the firm as an associate first and then looking around for the best ways to move to the office you like (by trying to work with clients there etc.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”