NALP Perspectives on Fall 2012 Recruiting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How does this make you feel?

Awesome
20%
Good
5%
Okay
16%
Bad
21%
Terrible
38%

Total votes: 61

Re: NALP Perspectives on Fall 2012 Recruiting

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The 82 3L offers include people who had offers and went to higher firms, correct? That seems incredibly low....

Welcome to the new economy broseph

I don't think I know anyone who traded up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The 82 3L offers include people who had offers and went to higher firms, correct? That seems incredibly low....

As a 2L without an SA that makes me feel better, if it means that the 82 positions, or a large % of them, were given to people without 2L SAs.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Neither do I, but I did see a couple threads about it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

As a 2L without an SA that makes me feel better, if it means that the 82 positions, or a large % of them, were given to people without 2L SAs.

This is like feeling better that Stetson gives you a larger biglawl shot than FL Coastal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:This is like feeling better that Stetson gives you a larger biglawl shot than FL Coastal.

True, I never said I was counting on it, even remotely. When I saw the numbers in the beginning I thought it was like 75 people trading up and 7 people getting offers without a 2L SA.
PS: does this include people who get 3L jerbs via mass mails...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 pm

I know someone who traded up. Other than that person, I don't know anyone who even tried to trade up.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I also don't know anyone who got a 3L job without a 2L SA. I do know someone who got no offered and then got a 3L offer.

I think you should probably start considering non big law career bro. It ain't happening.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:04 pm

I interpret that as meaning firms either go much better at predicting their SA-to-clerkship yield loss or that the work slowed down and firms didn't feel the need to fill the SA-clerk vacancies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I am a 3L who traded up. Keep in mind that those 82 offers could be spread out among less than 82 students. For example, I had a few offers as a 3L on the table before I accepted an offer. On the flip side, firms can be really sneaky. One of those firms ended up sending me a rejection letter after they had made me an offer and I decided to go somewhere else.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L who traded up.

Did you trade up during OCI (while SAing) or…..?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I am a 3L who traded up. Keep in mind that those 82 offers could be spread out among less than 82 students. For example, I had a few offers as a 3L on the table before I accepted an offer. On the flip side, firms can be really sneaky. One of those firms ended up sending me a rejection letter after they had made me an offer and I decided to go somewhere else.

I know of one trade up through facebook stalking but I was actually wondering about trading up... There are a few firms that I would want to trade up to but my grades probably give me no shot traditionally. Is it worth giving it a shot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of one trade up through facebook stalking but I was actually wondering about trading up... There are a few firms that I would want to trade up to but my grades probably give me no shot traditionally. Is it worth giving it a shot?

What do you have to lose? I mean, I wouldn't get my hopes up or anything, but if all it takes is writing a cover letter and/or bidding on a firm at OCI, why not? I guess you'd have to delay accepting an offer from your 2L summer firm, but you can just mention that you're exploring clerkships.

Mr Cooper

Postby Mr Cooper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Sounds like 2014 may be a record high of new JDunderground members

user was outed for anon abuse

jtabustos

Postby jtabustos » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 am

Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread as an 0L who is considering applying next cycle (2013).

I read most of the report and had a question about something that I wondered if people could possibly answer.

There was mention of firms no-offering summer SA's and %'s attached to that for 2012. I had always read that if a person obtained a biglaw summmer associate position that short of commiting a crime or really being annoying to those around him or her that this person would more or less be guaranteed a job with that firm.

I noticed that this is not so much the case from the report. I mean, I figured there were probably a few SA's and perhaps about 1% or 2% who were not hired back on (those who were extremely annoying), but was surprised to find it as high as 10-15% of SA's. And has high as 30% in the worst year of 2009!

A few brief questions I had were:

i.) Has this mostly been a result of the recession (and prior to the 2007/8 collapse the numbers were much much better)?

ii.) What factors do you guys know of that would cause a no-offer? Curious of any specifics (aside from just the very obvious, such as commiting a crime or getting into a fight with like a partner). What types of circumstances, qualities, or people end up getting the no offers?

iii.) Are there certain firms that do this more than others? Or mostly just random?

Thanks very much to everyone (if any do/can take the time to enlighten me). Very much appreciate it. And still, a good luck to you all!

Return to “Legal Employment”