Loyola Patient Law Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kryptix

Bronze

Re: Loyola Patient Law Fair

Post by kryptix » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much of your undergraduate material are you expected to remember? Or are they specifically just looking for credentials to say "they have an engineer working on this or that" and someone with the analytical thinking that comes from engineering?
I had a few interviews at patent boutiques that went into "hey I see you did some research in the past, break down what you started with, the transformations, and results" etc. I was really scrambling trying to remember organic chem on the spot many years later especially since most of my working career has had nothing to do with chem/pharma...

I got asked some technical biochem, molecular bio and genetics questions as well by PhD interviewers so don't be surprised if your tested. These were at primarily litigation firms too that didn't do too much prosecution. One of the interviewers said it was a test to see how well I could hold up deposing a professor...

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight on this?
Anonymous User wrote:I don't have a tech degree, but I have somehow got a 2L SA at a primary market IP boutique. Is there any chance that I could get something through this? I obviously want an offer from my SA, but if it doesn't work out/I hate the firm/etc. I would like to have some sort of backup plan.
You already got a SA offer, run with it, they'll probably have you in a trademark/copyright group but a lot of that work is entertainment industry etc which sounds a lot more fun to me anyway :)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:43 pm

3L hiring is a lot harder, but it exists. But you probably won't do better than you did as a 2L.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Surprised to hear this—it didn't happen to me.
kryptix wrote:I had a few interviews at patent boutiques that went into "hey I see you did some research in the past, break down what you started with, the transformations, and results" etc. I was really scrambling trying to remember organic chem on the spot many years later especially since most of my working career has had nothing to do with chem/pharma...

I got asked some technical biochem, molecular bio and genetics questions as well by PhD interviewers so don't be surprised if your tested. These were at primarily litigation firms too that didn't do too much prosecution. One of the interviewers said it was a test to see how well I could hold up deposing a professor...

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Throw down $35 and see what it gets you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 pm

any 3Ls went last august care to share their experience? I want to trade market, but don't know how feasible it is.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 pm

target wrote:any 3Ls went last august care to share their experience? I want to trade market, but don't know how feasible it is.
You do a lot worse, but it's still active. I think I got like 40% the number of interviews as the year before. It's a lot of firms who hire mostly 3Ls. Hard for me to tell because it seemed much more prosecution heavy and those firms don't like me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:
target wrote:any 3Ls went last august care to share their experience? I want to trade market, but don't know how feasible it is.
You do a lot worse, but it's still active. I think I got like 40% the number of interviews as the year before. It's a lot of firms who hire mostly 3Ls. Hard for me to tell because it seemed much more prosecution heavy and those firms don't like me.
3L here as well. I think you are right on the percentage. I believe I had about 40% percent the number of interviews as the year before as 2L. However, my CB ratio was higher as a 3L compared to a 2L (I think I received 4 CBs from my 6 preselects). I ended up accepting an offer with one of the firms that interviewed me at Loyola. I am very happy I went, and I highly recommend it if you want to trade up. Hardly anything to lose (except a few hundred for plane and hotel); only miles to gain.

Oops. posted anonymously by accident. This is ehshornet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 am

So if my CSO is paying the fee, but I have absolutely no science background, I probably won't have much success right? Not worth my time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hurldes

Bronze

Post by hurldes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 am

is it common for 2Ls with SAs lined up to register for the Loyola Patent Fair just in case they don't get an offer from the firm they'll be at this summer?

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes. There's been a bit of discussion on this topic. Just don't bid on your firm when the time comes.
hurldes wrote:is it common for 2Ls with SAs lined up to register for the Loyola Patent Fair just in case they don't get an offer from the firm they'll be at this summer?

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

If you have any interest in patent law, I recommend that you register.
Anonymous User wrote:So if my CSO is paying the fee, but I have absolutely no science background, I probably won't have much success right? Not worth my time?

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
3L here as well. I think you are right on the percentage. I believe I had about 40% percent the number of interviews as the year before as 2L. However, my CB ratio was higher as a 3L compared to a 2L (I think I received 4 CBs from my 6 preselects). I ended up accepting an offer with one of the firms that interviewed me at Loyola. I am very happy I went, and I highly recommend it if you want to trade up. Hardly anything to lose (except a few hundred for plane and hotel); only miles to gain.

Thanks both for responding. That's encouraging news. If you don't mind, are you an eng. or bio?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Agent wrote:If you have any interest in patent law, I recommend that you register.
Anonymous User wrote:So if my CSO is paying the fee, but I have absolutely no science background, I probably won't have much success right? Not worth my time?
And I don't see any harm in registering since your CSO will pay for your reg fee. Spending half a day or so creating your bid list is not that hard.

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks both for responding. That's encouraging news. If you don't mind, are you an eng. or bio?
Bio/chem

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Is there a way to tell which employers are looking for prosecution given no science background.

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a way to tell which employers are looking for prosecution given no science background.
Can't do patent prosecution without a science degree. One exception is if you are patent bar eligible (guidelines available on USPTO website). To be patent bar eligible, you have to fall within one of the categories. Each category has a certain number of science credits. To sum up, if you have not taken a significant amount of science classes in undergrad, you will not be patent bar eligible.

If you don't meet the science qualifications above, you will only be eligible for patent litigation positions. For those positions, typically most big law firms will be hiring for patent litigation. There are litigation boutique firms, but many require science degrees even though you don't need it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:11 pm

ehshornet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there a way to tell which employers are looking for prosecution given no science background.
Can't do patent prosecution without a science degree. One exception is if you are patent bar eligible (guidelines available on USPTO website). To be patent bar eligible, you have to fall within one of the categories. Each category has a certain number of science credits. To sum up, if you have not taken a significant amount of science classes in undergrad, you will not be patent bar eligible.

If you don't meet the science qualifications above, you will only be eligible for patent litigation positions. For those positions, typically most big law firms will be hiring for patent litigation. There are litigation boutique firms, but many require science degrees even though you don't need it.
so it's pointless even for litigation? I assume it's harmless to submit resume. Best case I get surprised, worst case, I get rejected at places I'm not qualified for.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm

So I just realized that this is a Loyola Patient not Patent fair.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 pm

hurldes wrote:is it common for 2Ls with SAs lined up to register for the Loyola Patent Fair just in case they don't get an offer from the firm they'll be at this summer?
It's not overly common. I think like 2-3 out of 6-7 of the IP people went as a 3L, though maybe some of them got offers and just didn't show. I went. It was hard to give a fuck because I figured I'd probably get an offer from my firm.

I'd do it.

Thought several firms noted that I was one of the few people they interviewed who had a big firm job. I am fairly sure Latham figured out I was just doing it as backup.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:05 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I'm EE, but my bioE friend got some interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Anon, height? I occasionally update that set of links: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2#p5427472
Anonymous User wrote:Useful links for everyone

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”