Post-graduate Employment Survey asks for Confidential Info?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
los blancos

Post-graduate Employment Survey asks for Confidential Info?

Postby los blancos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Alright, quick question. Got an e-mail from career services asking us to fill out a graduation survey regarding job stuff. It asks for salary, among other things. My offer letter specifically states that the information within it is confidential.

1) Is this a common thing with offer letters?
2) I assume the smart move is to refuse to answer the question then, right?

hookem14

Re: Post-graduate Employment Survey asks for Confidential Info?

Postby hookem14 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:26 am

FYI in a lot of states an employer can't keep you from talking about your salary. That being said, probably smart to just keep quiet.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 am

Your school will use it to tabulate employment and salary data. Depending on your school they will then obfuscate the results to all hell (most places) or release it in a fairly non-misleading way (a few schools). So fill it out or don't fill it out depending upon what signals you want to send to prospective applicants.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 am

Highly doubt anyone at your firm would find out or even care about it if they did. Just fill out the survey. Barring a massive hacker attack, the only info that sees the light of day are the aggregated numbers that you see on your law school's career services page and in the ABA employment reports.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:08 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:18 am

fuck your school; don't fill it out.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:45 am

ajax adonis wrote:I would just not fill out any salary-related information. That's probably what your school wants, but you got to watch out for yourself--if you don't, who will? Do you even stand to gain anything by giving them potentially confidential information?

Well, legal pay is pretty easy to look up for most firms so if you tell them where you went, they'll know, and your firm will tell them how many they took from your school anyway as part of their OCI application. I don't think it's worth it to obscure things for future students if your school can just google the data.

That said, people not willing to report this is why so many schools say that their "private practice" median salary is 160k, because most people with market positions probably report what they make.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:37 am

fill out the survey, but leave the pay blank. thats between you and your employer. You dont owe the school or CSO anything, and dont even have to fill out the damn waste of trees and ink. So if you do, great, if not, its no big deal.

Do you ask the CSO people how much money they make? Dont think so ( although now im tempted to ask mine)? If its none of their business, its none of their business and they dont need to know.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:48 am

Not to be the devil's advocate here, but isn't this exactly the thing that we've all been fighting for - transparency of post-grad employment stats? Maybe you could indicate a range or give some nonspecific >$xx amount type answer.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:18 pm

echooo23 wrote:Not to be the devil's advocate here, but isn't this exactly the thing that we've all been fighting for - transparency of post-grad employment stats? Maybe you could indicate a range or give some nonspecific >$xx amount type answer.

This. Why would you not want prospective students to know how much graduates from your school make? It is truly the whole point of this transparency movement:

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 pm

echooo23 wrote:Not to be the devil's advocate here, but isn't this exactly the thing that we've all been fighting for - transparency of post-grad employment stats? Maybe you could indicate a range or give some nonspecific >$xx amount type answer.

Yeah. I completely agree.

"Fuck the CSO! They lie and give bad information! So don't give them any information!"

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm

just to be, uh, god's advocate here, they're just gonna use his (presumably successful) outcome to twist their employment stats to swindle new applicants

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

fatduck wrote:

just to be, uh, god's advocate here, they're just gonna use his (presumably successful) outcome to twist their employment stats to swindle new applicants

This is why I have told the CDO at my school that I'm currently unemployed. It's not exactly true, but I'd rather skew the results in the other direction if I can.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 pm

How are they going to twist his results? If he was underemployed, maybe, but if he has a regular job, they're just going to report it as a regular job. If you hate your school, fine, whatever, but purposefully misreporting information destroys the high ground people have when they complain about employment data and hurts the transparency movement.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

fatduck wrote:

Eh I'm pretty sure my school doesn't really need to twist or obfuscate its stats to get applicants. I think we're one of the few schools with an increase in applicants so far this year.

I think I'm either not going to report it or just round it. For those who mentioned the ease of finding out salaries online, it doesn't seem to be the case for my firm. Though I would be surprised if career services didn't know the general range.

I know people really like to hate on Career Services on TLS (mostly very well-deserved), but I thought our people did a decent enough job.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 pm

I think NALP lets schools fill in salary info, so if you say you are working at X firm, if the school can figure out online how much that firm pays, they can report that as your salary. I believe schools are also allowed to make a default assumption about whether someone is employed for everyone who doesn't answer the survey, which obviously will be that the person is employed (not sure how that works regarding salary). I am also not sure if this changed with the ABA's 2011 rules.

Return to “Legal Employment”