Post-bar-exam moving logistics - to NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tfer2222

Post-bar-exam moving logistics - to NYC

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I've never had to move furniture cross-country, nor have I lived in NY, so I really don't know how this works. I realize these might be stupid questions.

After taking the bar exam, I'm hoping to move a couple of pieces of furniture across the country from my law school to NYC (across the country). My firm says they will cover "reasonable moving expenses," etc. I'm basically worried about the gap in time between my lease ending in my law school state and actually having an apartment in NY. Will a moving company pick up my furniture when my lease ends, hold it in storage for a few weeks, and then move it into my place in NY (once I get it?). If this is a normal thing to do, will it be so expensive as to exceed the "reasonable expenses" the firm would cover?

I just really don't want to extend my lease for another month just so my stuff has a place to stay. I'm hoping to travel a bit after the bar exam and otherwise stay with my parents (who live in another state far away from both cities) before moving to NY in later august.

Also, how far in advance do I need to get up to NY and search for/actually sign on an apartment before moving in?

Ideally, I want to 1) get my furniture out of my apartment right after the bar exam 2) stay with my parents and travel for a few weeks (without paying rent on an apartment) and then 3) move into an apartment in NYC in late August.

I only have 4 pieces of furniture I want to move (bed, couch, rug, desk). I realize I could just sell them and avoid the hassle of moving them, but its really nice stuff and I know it'd be really expensive to replace them up there.

Any insight or suggestions? Sorry for the long rambling post, but I'm a bit flustered thinking about this stuff.

JamMasterJ

Re: Post-bar-exam moving logistics - to NYC

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:29 pm

August is a horrible time to do an apartment search here and you should do everything in your power to do it earlier or later.

As far as timing, you don't really want to look more than two months out

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:August is a horrible time to do an apartment search here and you should do everything in your power to do it earlier or later.

As far as timing, you don't really want to look more than two months out

Typically, how long would it take to view apartments / sign one? Would it make sense to try to do it in late June? I just don't want to interfere too much with my bar studying.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:41 pm

More than a month out is basically too early. Most brokers and places will want someone who can move in within the month. 2-3 weeks time is basically the ideal time between finding a place and moving in in terms of options.

If your start date is somewhere around September, you would find it nearly impossible to find something in June/July.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:40 pm

You could try to find something starting in May, move your furniture then, and then sublet. It's usually pretty easy to find someone who wants to sublet an apartment for the summer. Avoids stress of looking for an apartment or being homeless during the bar or during your bar trip.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:43 pm

There are more people looking to rent in August, but at the same time there's more inventory in August, so I'm not sure the move-in situation is that ideal during other time periods.

Best advice for OP is to have a lot of liquid funds available. Depending on your credit, you might have to plunk down 1-2 months security, maybe more, and 1 months' rent (up to the entire lease) up front. This is not including a possible brokers' fee. Typically, brokers/landlords will accept these only in the form of certified checks, so you will need the funds in a bank account. At the end of the day, you could be looking at plunking down around $10,000-$15,000.

Some people manage to get around brokers' fees and lower security deposits, but it's really variable and takes a lot of effort.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm pretty sure the vacancy rate is lower in August than other times. I think yupu're overstating there being an offsetting increase in housing stock.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm pretty sure the vacancy rate is lower in August than other times. I think yupu're overstating there being an offsetting increase in housing stock.

That's real cool man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:34 pm

So do people moving to NYC just stay in a hotel for a few days while apartment searching?

haus

Postby haus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So do people moving to NYC just stay in a hotel for a few days while apartment searching?

Or you could try your hand at homelessness. Try and find a bench in the park to get a a bit of sleep, the upside the idea of yet another night attempting to sleep in the park will go a long ways to increasing your motivation for finding and closing on an apartment.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 pm

haus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So do people moving to NYC just stay in a hotel for a few days while apartment searching?

Or you could try your hand at homelessness. Try and find a bench in the park to get a a bit of sleep, the upside the idea of yet another night attempting to sleep in the park will go a long ways to increasing your motivation for finding and closing on an apartment.

I'm considering this. or maybe just crash on friends' couches.

Anybody know much about the moving process with storage in between move-out and move-in?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:55 pm

I moved out to NYC in August without having a place lined up. It took about a week of running around/meeting with brokers/etc, but I eventually locked down a place that I like. I stayed on a friend's couch while I was looking.

Your ability to find housing before arriving might depend on what you are looking for. If it's a cheaper walkup in a college-area, it's basically impossible to do any searching without physically being in the city. Most of the units that are posted online are rented or have something seriously wrong with them.

More expensive/luxury places might plan further out. But my search was pretty hellish and I had to pay a ridiculous broker fee.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:56 pm

tfer2222 wrote:I'm considering this. or maybe just crash on friends' couches.

It helps if your friends are the type that will make you a bit crazy after a reasonably short period of time. Hunting for a new place to live can be a stressful experience for some, and hanging out with friends can easily become an opportunity to become distracted and not tackle the actual problem at hand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:09 pm

haus wrote:

Well, that certainly is a viable option.

The reason for that question is if firms consider your staying in a hotel for a few days as a "reasonable moving expense."

haus

Postby haus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, that certainly is a viable option.

The reason for that question is if firms consider your staying in a hotel for a few days as a "reasonable moving expense."

In other industries, such an expense would most likely be considered a "reasonable moving expense", although many companies that I have dealt with will often have their preferred hotels (more often than not this will be the hotel and/or chain that they have arranged a discount rate with). As such it is likely worth while to reach out to your firm to see if there are any preferences or requirements that you should be aware of before you plan your travel.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:35 pm

As a bit of anecdotal evidence, when we signed our apartment in New York (East Village) we looked at it on a Friday and signed the lease that same day and moved in about 2 weeks later, mainly because two of the previous apartments we had seen and liked were leased out while we were contemplating signing leases. I'm not entirely sure if the market always moves this quickly, but from everything I've heard it seems to be the norm.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:36 pm

From talking to a friend whos a recruiter at a big firm in NYC, hotel and living expenses while looking for a place is not something they reimburse for. While this may vary from firm to firm, the "reasonable moving expenses" are basically your travel to NYC, paying for movers, and broker fees (capped usually).

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:From talking to a friend whos a recruiter at a big firm in NYC, hotel and living expenses while looking for a place is not something they reimburse for. While this may vary from firm to firm, the "reasonable moving expenses" are basically your travel to NYC, paying for movers, and broker fees (capped usually).

Firms will typically pay for one house-hunting trip. That's been my experience, at least.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 pm

OP- Manhattan Mini Storage has small storage areas at reasonable rates, especially if you use one of their locations north of downtown. Near Columbia (zip 10025) you can get a small room for $100-$200/month depending on how much stuff you have, and they will accept deliveries of your stuff and put it into a storage locker. Call one of their local offices and see what they can do for you... you can probably ship your furniture to Manhattan after you take the bar and store it cheaply for a month or more with them.

Stay in a hotel or with a friend while doing your apartment search. If you only have a few pieces of furniture it's easy to find inexpensive local movers on craigslist who will pick your stuff up and move it to your apartment, once you find one.

Also, when you get to NYC to do your search, make sure you have all of your paperwork together ready to go in case you find a place to apply for... pay stubs, proof of employment, income, w2s, info from your parents if you need a guarantor.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Pretty sure storing your (what sounds like minimal furniture) won't add much on to the cost of your move. Maybe the best plan would be to store your stuff wherever you are now, go out to NY to do your apartment hunting, then have the stuff moved directly from storage to your new apartment when your new lease starts.

IMO, "reasonable" moving expenses are going to be something in the range of the cost of a full corporate move. Packing, moving, unpacking a whole apartment worth of stuff. The minimal extra expense involved in storing a few items of furniture isn't going to put you over budget.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 pm

this is all really helpful. Thanks!

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:34 am

is most of the apt search done via craigslist and calling or is it best to set up some sort of broker to take you around?

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 pm

tfer2222 wrote:is most of the apt search done via craigslist and calling or is it best to set up some sort of broker to take you around?

Depends on your budget... you can find deals via craigslist and by-owner apartments without a broker fee, but brokers may have a better selection. If you're willing to pay for a nice place and aren't looking for a crazy deal, you could get in touch with managers at buildings who will rent directly to you, but this is tough if you don't know Manhattan very well. What neighborhood do you want to live in, what's your price range and apt size desired?

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:00 pm

cranberry wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:is most of the apt search done via craigslist and calling or is it best to set up some sort of broker to take you around?

Depends on your budget... you can find deals via craigslist and by-owner apartments without a broker fee, but brokers may have a better selection. If you're willing to pay for a nice place and aren't looking for a crazy deal, you could get in touch with managers at buildings who will rent directly to you, but this is tough if you don't know Manhattan very well. What neighborhood do you want to live in, what's your price range and apt size desired?

will be working in midtown. preferably live in gramercy/kips/union square. want to stay on the east side. price range 2000-2600. i really don't care about size at all. I'd rather have a renovated 400 sq ft studio (I've actually lived in much smaller) than an older, less-updated 1bd.

I originally was considering financial district due to the newer buildings and amenities, but many friends have advised against it.

On another note, do firms pay for flight / lodging when you fly up to actually take the bar exam? is this included in "bar exam expenses"?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:00 pm

I found my apartment via Craiglist. We didn't believe it at first, but turned out to be a legit deal. New apartment, stainless appliances, DISHWASHER, concrete countertops, etc. If you're able to find brokers that have exclusive deals with buildings you're also more likely to not pay a brokers fee. I'm not entirely sure how you might do this, maybe someone more knowledgeable might know.

Return to “Legal Employment”