Staff attorney at big-ish law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Staff attorney at big-ish law

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm a 3l working part time at a somewhat big law firm (think a firm on the lower end of the Am law 100). I started in the fall of my 2l year and continued through the summer. I spoke with a partner here before the summer and he told me that the plan was for me to join them post-grad, although he wanted to clarify that he couldn't make any firm promises at that point. I have a meeting with the partner next week to talk about the plan for me post-grad, which I'm really grateful for, but I had a few questions that I would like to know before I walk into that meeting.

Associates at this firm make market, but I suspect that they intend to bring me on as a staff attorney. Does anybody know how much these positions usually pay? I've seen posts about staff attorneys in the past but it seems that those were more for people strictly doing doc review, which is definitely not what this job would be. A few of my bosses are staff attorneys and that's not what they do.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Re: Staff attorney at big-ish law

Post by legalese_retard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 pm

You haven't said what market, so can't really provide a raw number. Based on what I can tell in Dallas/Houston, most firms with staff attorneys pay them 33% less than their associate counterparts. Billable hours are probably going to be around 1800.

Anonymous User

Re: Staff attorney at big-ish law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

OP here, that's a good point. City is NYC and associates start at 160k.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”