Part-time work/consulting for my dad's company?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Part-time work/consulting for my dad's company?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Hey everyone-

My dad owns his own company. Actually, he's the only employee, so he's CEO, Prez, VP, mid-level manager, and janitor. It's a int'l engineering consulting firm, and apparently he pretty much dominates the small niche industry. Im a 1L at CCN, and I was wondering if you think it'd be beneficial for me to go on his payroll? Think it'd help at EIP? It could also be a company that I bring into my eventual firm -- he's planning to expand to a dozen or so employees next year. I could hold any title that I wanted, in theory.

One day, the company may end up in my hands (or at least part of it), and he says that he's glad Im going to law school because A LOT of it nowadays deals with environmental regulations (because he builds factories for people) and very long, annoying, financial contracts (because he finances those factories that he builds -- we are talking $50+ million contracts). As a 1L, I ABSOLUTELY realize that I know just enough law to make me dangerous, but OBVIOUSLY no where near enough law to make me useful in anyway shape or form. So I'd pretty much refuse to give any advice haha, so I guess it'd be more of a "foot in the door" and resume builder. I could begin researching some of the issues that are important to the company and maybe accompany him on a few of his business trips.

I should also note that Im WAYYY too busy spring 1L semester for anything like this. I would wait until the summer (working for a judge) and then 2L year (assuming I dont strike out).

Thanks for any advice!

Anonymous User

Re: Part-time work/consulting for my dad's company?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:13 pm

bump

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Really not sure if it will help at all, since you won't be doing real work for them. In my opinion it will probably just hurt you, since when firms ask about it you will end up explaining that it's a family company and it will just look like nepotism. Trying to spin it without explaining why you were hired will make you look like a liar. JMO.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Agree with Picco on this one. It might depend if the name of the company does not give it away, but still is awkward. My recommendation would be to at least do another thing during the summer if you really want to work for your father. Maybe extern and also work for him.
PS: since when is engineering consulting a niche industry able to be dominated by a one-man company.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Pokemon wrote:Agree with Picco on this one.

Makes sense. That's more or less what I was trying to figure out.

Pokemon wrote:PS: since when is engineering consulting a niche industry able to be dominated by a one-man company.

It's super small niche. A lot of what he does is connecting the other players together, organizing all of the pieces, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”