USAO SDNY v EDNY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

SDNY or EDNY?

SDNY
60%
EDNY
40%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

USAO SDNY v EDNY

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:52 pm

I have an offer from both SDNY and EDNY criminal divisions for a summer internship. Does anyone have any information or advice about either SDNY/EDNY? I like them both and I'm not sure which one to take.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: USAO SDNY v EDNY

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from both SDNY and EDNY criminal divisions for a summer internship. Does anyone have any information or advice about either SDNY/EDNY? I like them both and I'm not sure which one to take.

Thanks.

Quality of work, work place dynamics, etc all being equal/unknown, I would base it on (1) location and (2) OCI/EIP bump. For location, do you live in the city now? If so, would you prefer Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan? I'd prefer Manhattan, because it's closer to my apt. For bump, I think more people will be impressed by SDNY than EDNY, even if that's silly. There's a certain level of awe with SDNY, for whatever reason.

Also, SDNY has some pretty bad-ass, high profile cases: terrorism, insider trading, etc. Not sure about EDNY.

Source: working for a judge this summer in SDNY and had a few interview offers (ie, job offers) from EDNY judges as well. I obv chose SDNY.

Anonymous User

Re: USAO SDNY v EDNY

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 pm

What kind of criminal law do you actually want to do? Corruption/fraud/RICO type cases I'd go with EDNY; financial crimes I'd go with SDNY; immigration/import crimes, narco, EDNY; high-profile, SDNY. As an intern you won't have clearance to do national security stuff anyway so I wouldn't factor that in (less than 6 months, you get a clearance waiver, which isn't good enough to see classified docs). Plus interns in EDNY can actually do small hearings, and SDNY rules don't allow that.

Return to “Legal Employment”