Underground Markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273376
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Underground Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Does anyone know which areas of law might deal with regulation of underground markets? I worked in social work for awhile and started to see all the shit people sell illegally. Drugs and guns are the most identifiable, but food stamps, housing vouchers/units, medication, identification documents, labor, prostitution, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I suppose the DOJ and criminal law are some places to look, but what sort of positions would I even be looking for? Underground commerce seems pretty interesting, but I just have no idea where to start looking for work or what classes to take.

User avatar
okinawa
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Underground Markets

Postby okinawa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't think what you're asking about exists. There isn't really coursework on 'regulation of the illegal,' you know? It's illegal.

DOJ, AUSAs, and state/local prosecutors will prosecute people for doing illegal things, and some focus on defrauding the government or labor trafficking or narco trafficking. But coming from a social work background, you don't seem like you want to be prosecuting. Maybe a Public Defender?

Or maybe it's just something that interesting to you and you end up working in a totally different area of law because it's not really a position that exists. That's okay too. You can be interested in something and do academic research on it and write papers without actually working in that area.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby Objection » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Is this real life?

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Underground Markets

Postby goldeneye » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which areas of law might deal with regulation of underground markets? I worked in social work for awhile and started to see all the shit people sell illegally. Drugs and guns are the most identifiable, but food stamps, housing vouchers/units, medication, identification documents, labor, prostitution, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I suppose the DOJ and criminal law are some places to look, but what sort of positions would I even be looking for? Underground commerce seems pretty interesting, but I just have no idea where to start looking for work or what classes to take.


QFP. Work in Russia, where the blackmarket is the real market.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 pm

goldeneye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which areas of law might deal with regulation of underground markets? I worked in social work for awhile and started to see all the shit people sell illegally. Drugs and guns are the most identifiable, but food stamps, housing vouchers/units, medication, identification documents, labor, prostitution, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I suppose the DOJ and criminal law are some places to look, but what sort of positions would I even be looking for? Underground commerce seems pretty interesting, but I just have no idea where to start looking for work or what classes to take.


QFP. Work in Russia, where the blackmarket is the real market.


In Soviet Russia, Black Market regulate you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273376
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 pm

okinawa wrote:I don't think what you're asking about exists. There isn't really coursework on 'regulation of the illegal,' you know? It's illegal.

DOJ, AUSAs, and state/local prosecutors will prosecute people for doing illegal things, and some focus on defrauding the government or labor trafficking or narco trafficking. But coming from a social work background, you don't seem like you want to be prosecuting. Maybe a Public Defender?

Or maybe it's just something that interesting to you and you end up working in a totally different area of law because it's not really a position that exists. That's okay too. You can be interested in something and do academic research on it and write papers without actually working in that area.


OP here

Ha, yeah, definitely not interested in enforcement. I guess research would be the closest fit. I'm interested in trade law as an overarching area. And for a lot of these areas, I'm interested in doing work to get certain activities legalized and regulated so they're safer. Or, for the illegal markets that stem from legal means (selling housing vouches for example), I'm interested in making those markets work better. Lobbyists would probably be involved.

Edit: And, I don't speak a word of Russian :wink:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bruinfan10
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Objection wrote:Is this real life?

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 pm

I feel like you'd really enjoy Space Law.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Underground Markets

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I think you want to work in criminal law.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm

cinephile wrote:I think you want to work in criminal law.


International space criminal law.

Space pirates.

Pokemon
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Underground Markets

Postby Pokemon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Underground Markets

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Objection wrote:Is this real life?


Image

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Underground Markets

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 am

Con Law bro. Gonzales v. Raich.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.