Underground Markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Underground Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Does anyone know which areas of law might deal with regulation of underground markets? I worked in social work for awhile and started to see all the shit people sell illegally. Drugs and guns are the most identifiable, but food stamps, housing vouchers/units, medication, identification documents, labor, prostitution, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I suppose the DOJ and criminal law are some places to look, but what sort of positions would I even be looking for? Underground commerce seems pretty interesting, but I just have no idea where to start looking for work or what classes to take.

okinawa

Re: Underground Markets

Postby okinawa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't think what you're asking about exists. There isn't really coursework on 'regulation of the illegal,' you know? It's illegal.

DOJ, AUSAs, and state/local prosecutors will prosecute people for doing illegal things, and some focus on defrauding the government or labor trafficking or narco trafficking. But coming from a social work background, you don't seem like you want to be prosecuting. Maybe a Public Defender?

Or maybe it's just something that interesting to you and you end up working in a totally different area of law because it's not really a position that exists. That's okay too. You can be interested in something and do academic research on it and write papers without actually working in that area.

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Is this real life?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which areas of law might deal with regulation of underground markets? I worked in social work for awhile and started to see all the shit people sell illegally. Drugs and guns are the most identifiable, but food stamps, housing vouchers/units, medication, identification documents, labor, prostitution, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I suppose the DOJ and criminal law are some places to look, but what sort of positions would I even be looking for? Underground commerce seems pretty interesting, but I just have no idea where to start looking for work or what classes to take.

QFP. Work in Russia, where the blackmarket is the real market.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 pm

goldeneye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which areas of law might deal with regulation of underground markets? I worked in social work for awhile and started to see all the shit people sell illegally. Drugs and guns are the most identifiable, but food stamps, housing vouchers/units, medication, identification documents, labor, prostitution, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I suppose the DOJ and criminal law are some places to look, but what sort of positions would I even be looking for? Underground commerce seems pretty interesting, but I just have no idea where to start looking for work or what classes to take.

QFP. Work in Russia, where the blackmarket is the real market.

In Soviet Russia, Black Market regulate you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 pm

okinawa wrote:I don't think what you're asking about exists. There isn't really coursework on 'regulation of the illegal,' you know? It's illegal.

DOJ, AUSAs, and state/local prosecutors will prosecute people for doing illegal things, and some focus on defrauding the government or labor trafficking or narco trafficking. But coming from a social work background, you don't seem like you want to be prosecuting. Maybe a Public Defender?

Or maybe it's just something that interesting to you and you end up working in a totally different area of law because it's not really a position that exists. That's okay too. You can be interested in something and do academic research on it and write papers without actually working in that area.

OP here

Ha, yeah, definitely not interested in enforcement. I guess research would be the closest fit. I'm interested in trade law as an overarching area. And for a lot of these areas, I'm interested in doing work to get certain activities legalized and regulated so they're safer. Or, for the illegal markets that stem from legal means (selling housing vouches for example), I'm interested in making those markets work better. Lobbyists would probably be involved.

Edit: And, I don't speak a word of Russian :wink:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Objection wrote:Is this real life?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 pm

I feel like you'd really enjoy Space Law.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I think you want to work in criminal law.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm

cinephile wrote:I think you want to work in criminal law.

International space criminal law.

Space pirates.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Objection wrote:Is this real life?

dextermorgan