No Response to My Emails?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Response to My Emails?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 pm

1L here.

In December, I cold called a small firm in DC and had a really good (about half-hour) conversation with their hiring manager. I wrote him an email as soon as we got off the phone thanking him for his time but never heard back.

He told me to email - he emphasized the email in my call - my application to him personally. I submitted my application and was somewhat surprise when he never emailed me back. I've emailed him a few time (4 times - all with updates as my grades came in as he had requested in our conversation) but never received an acknowledgement of my emails. I just found it a little odd that he never wrote me especially after spending so much time on the phone.

Today, out of the blue, I received a "message cannot be delivered" email indicating that my last email from earlier this week did not go through to him which is really making me wonder if he received any of my emails. So my question is: should I mail/fax/call him with him so emphatically saying to email him my application? And if so, what should I say? Should I assume nothing went through or should I tell him the whole situation? I just am concerned 1) since he emphasized email in our conversation and 2) that I may come off in a bad way especially if he has received my emails.

manofjustice

Re: No Response to My Emails?

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Did he leave the firm?

BTW: You cold-called a firm? Why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:51 pm

OP here. I have no idea if he left or not.

I cold called as they do not have a website and I had heard of the firm at a previous summer internship. The hiring manager and I went to the same (really small) liberal arts college though I did not know him obviously.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I have no idea if he left or not.

I cold called as they do not have a website and I had heard of the firm at a previous summer internship. The hiring manager and I went to the same (really small) liberal arts college though I did not know him obviously.

The firm does not have a website?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Nope. Its a 6 attorney firm.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Well, either he left, or he blocked you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:59 pm

manofjustice wrote:Well, either he left, or he blocked you.

Which is the dilemma. Now what should he do?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

He probably is ignoring you or left the firm.

But what do you have to lose? Ring him on Monday and ask what's what. Worst case scenario he chews you out, and you've lost nothing. Best case scenario there was an email glitch and you get it sorted out.

Agent

Postby Agent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 am

TCR.

thesealocust wrote:He probably is ignoring you or left the firm.

But what do you have to lose? Ring him on Monday and ask what's what. Worst case scenario he chews you out, and you've lost nothing. Best case scenario there was an email glitch and you get it sorted out.

Return to “Legal Employment”