West Virginia Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: West Virginia Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 am

Red Beard wrote:Interesting take on the WV legal market right now from a WVU Law professor: --LinkRemoved--

Transferred out of WVU last year, Bowman by far the best professor I've had thus far.

For PI work, I recommend contacting WV Legal Aid, Mountain State Justice, and West Virginia Advocates. Had several friends who worked for Mountain State Justice last year and loved it.

On my last stop out of WV, I made sure to take my old man to Tudor's. God bless that place, I miss it.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Interesting take on the WV legal market right now from a WVU Law professor: --LinkRemoved--

Transferred out of WVU last year, Bowman by far the best professor I've had thus far.

For PI work, I recommend contacting WV Legal Aid, Mountain State Justice, and West Virginia Advocates. Had several friends who worked for Mountain State Justice last year and loved it.

On my last stop out of WV, I made sure to take my old man to Tudor's. God bless that place, I miss it.

What tier school did you transfer to? Do you plan to return to practice in WV?

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Would annihilate a Mary B right now.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:12 am

TTH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would annihilate a Mary B right now.

Duke is where it's at.

And for every TLSer who has never been to WV, going there for Tudor's and a legal job should now be a priority.

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 am

Growing up it seemed like Bowles Rice was definitely one of the most prestigious, if not the most prestigious. Interesting to read everyone's takes on the big firms.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 am

wvuchip wrote:Growing up it seemed like Bowles Rice was definitely one of the most prestigious, if not the most prestigious. Interesting to read everyone's takes on the big firms.

I think it's a hell of a firm. Realistically, you couldn't go wrong with Bowles, Steptoe, or Jackson

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 am

PinkLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Transferred to a high T2. Have no desire to return to WV; like everyone in this thread has said they do not like outsiders. I was an outsider and I got that vibe at OCI. From talk of the professors Bowles Rice is THE place; Steptoe and Jackson Kelly not far behind along with Spillman (roommate worked their as SA). Dinsmore has a really bad rap of hiring outside the boarders, really effects their reputation among the students at WVU.

With that being said, I actually miss Motown at times. Tailpipes, Keglers, and Puglioni's. Great bars, great food, but I just had no desire of being there permanently.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 pm

So that's a Tudor's biscuit? :P I look more forward to my WV vacation now!

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Transferred to a high T2. Have no desire to return to WV; like everyone in this thread has said they do not like outsiders. I was an outsider and I got that vibe at OCI. From talk of the professors Bowles Rice is THE place; Steptoe and Jackson Kelly not far behind along with Spillman (roommate worked their as SA). Dinsmore has a really bad rap of hiring outside the boarders, really effects their reputation among the students at WVU.

With that being said, I actually miss Motown at times. Tailpipes, Keglers, and Puglioni's. Great bars, great food, but I just had no desire of being there permanently.

Bowles is probably ranked highly by them due to having their main office right next to the school, basically. Plus the former dean's kid works there. Take the professor's opinions on the firms with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Red Beard wrote:Bowles is probably ranked highly by them due to having their main office right next to the school, basically. Plus the former dean's kid works there. Take the professor's opinions on the firms with a grain of salt.

He did mention that several times in class.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Bowles is probably ranked highly by them due to having their main office right next to the school, basically. Plus the former dean's kid works there. Take the professor's opinions on the firms with a grain of salt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:35 pm

i got interviews with JK and steptoe w/no ties to WV so it's definitely not impossible. (median, t14)

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

PinkLotus wrote:http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/node/2740

Wow, this native New Yorker from FORDHAM managed to break into the WV PI market. I suppose all hope is not lost for my friend, lol.

Equal Justice Works is a pretty prestigious fellowship program (along with Skadden fellows) and I think they place you into different placements for a year or two, so he probably ended up there because EJW and the WV org he worked for agreed in advance that the org would have an EJW fellow. Your friend should look into gunning for various fellowships (there are way more than EJW and Skadden although I don't know anymore) because they are good resume boosters and help you get your foot in the door in an economy where PI hiring is way down.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Red Beard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL at professor of "international trade law". Don't get me wrong, WVU is a great school if you wanna stay local, but do any of their students get jobs in anything having to do with international law? /snark

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got interviews with JK and steptoe w/no ties to WV so it's definitely not impossible. (median, t14)

1L or 2L?

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Red Beard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL at professor of "international trade law". Don't get me wrong, WVU is a great school if you wanna stay local, but do any of their students get jobs in anything having to do with international law? /snark

WV is a mecca of international law!

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got interviews with JK and steptoe w/no ties to WV so it's definitely not impossible. (median, t14)

This is what I've been seeing. These firms are getting "trickle down" top tier kids who can't get jobs. It's a bad thing for WVU students.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Also, I can't believe that there is now a near 100 post thread on WV law. I feel a tear coming on. TLS embracing WV.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Red Beard wrote:Also, I can't believe that there is now a near 100 post thread on WV law. I feel a tear coming on. TLS embracing WV.

I know! When I posted about my friend's predicament over the weekend, I expected the thread to be dead, since there's such a BosWash bias on here. Pleasantly surprised.

He still hasn't applied to places. -___- I've been begging him to get on top of jobs stuff ASAP. I feel lucky to have bagged a summer PI gig, but so many of my peers applied to dozens of employers with just radio silence on the other end.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Also, I can't believe that there is now a near 100 post thread on WV law. I feel a tear coming on. TLS embracing WV.

I know! When I posted about my friend's predicament over the weekend, I expected the thread to be dead, since there's such a BosWash bias on here. Pleasantly surprised.

He still hasn't applied to places. -___- I've been begging him to get on top of jobs stuff ASAP. I feel lucky to have bagged a summer PI gig, but so many of my peers applied to dozens of employers with just radio silence on the other end.

Ooooof. Smack him in the head.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Red Beard wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

Our LRRW profs says it's "perfectly fine" to just bartend over the summer. Boomers. :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Pretty stoked to be in WV this summer.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Red Beard wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

Our LRRW profs says it's "perfectly fine" to just bartend over the summer. Boomers. :roll:

Wait. Really? Where do you go to school?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

BC. She graduated in '81. Love her, but some of the jobs advice she gives is verrry misleading.

Quote from email:
First, and most importantly, please realize that, at least in my opinion, it is absolutely fine if you do not have a job in the legal sector this summer. Some of my most successful students spent their summers between first and second year working at the Gap or bartending. You can spin it later as honing your people skills (learning to work with difficult people is a must in this profession!), or simply recapturing your mental health (anyone who has done the first year of law school will understand completely).

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 pm

PinkLotus wrote:BC. She graduated in '81. Love her, but some of the jobs advice she gives is verrry misleading.

Quote from email:
First, and most importantly, please realize that, at least in my opinion, it is absolutely fine if you do not have a job in the legal sector this summer. Some of my most successful students spent their summers between first and second year working at the Gap or bartending. You can spin it later as honing your people skills (learning to work with difficult people is a must in this profession!), or simply recapturing your mental health (anyone who has done the first year of law school will understand completely).

What a fucking moron. JMFC.

Return to “Legal Employment”