West Virginia Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Re: West Virginia Legal Market

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Unrelated to my friend's situation, but anyone here been near Moundsville, WV in Marshall County? My mom's planning on going to a retreat thing there this summer and wants the fam to come along, so just wondering.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Unrelated to my friend's situation, but anyone here been near Moundsville, WV in Marshall County? My mom's planning on going to a retreat thing there this summer and wants the fam to come along, so just wondering.

The old state prison in Moundsville is a tourist attraction for people who did paranormal stuff. Also, there's a pretty big Indian (south Asian) community there.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Anyone know anything about the pay progression for associates at Steptoe/Jackson/Bowles?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm

TTH wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Unrelated to my friend's situation, but anyone here been near Moundsville, WV in Marshall County? My mom's planning on going to a retreat thing there this summer and wants the fam to come along, so just wondering.

Also, there's a pretty big Indian (south Asian) community there.

Not surprised--asked my mom details, and turns out she was planning on visiting here: http://newvrindaban.com/
Looks stunning...

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:10 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Anyone know anything about the pay progression for associates at Steptoe/Jackson/Bowles?

I believe it's the standard 6-8% per year or whatever most firms use. I don't know exact figures, but I could also be wrong.

Start out at 75 (though for some reason I think Steptoe is moving to 78?) and it raises every year (along with bonuses).

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Red Beard wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Anyone know anything about the pay progression for associates at Steptoe/Jackson/Bowles?

I believe it's the standard 6-8% per year or whatever most firms use. I don't know exact figures, but I could also be wrong.

Start out at 75 (though for some reason I think Steptoe is moving to 78?) and it raises every year (along with bonuses).

I'm surprised BIGWESTVIRGINIALAW is still letting Dinsmore set the market at $83k, but I guess Dinsmore doesn't hire enough people to threaten the big four WV firms.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:40 pm

TTH wrote:
Red Beard wrote:

I'm surprised BIGWESTVIRGINIALAW is still letting Dinsmore set the market at $83k, but I guess Dinsmore doesn't hire enough people to threaten the big four WV firms.

Dinsmore hires like 1 or 2 people in WV a year. And they would rather hire someone from UNC, W&L, or W&M it seems like. They like their "prestige" over the typical WVU grad.

Their office is in a nice location (right on the waterfront), but it's also above a Medical Express shop. Dinsmore is a very small outfit in WV.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:53 pm

I can't speak to the WV legal market, but I do have some insight into the people of West Virginia because my family is originally from there, and I have traveled to WV about a dozen times. My sense (and the sense of nearly everyone here) is that West Virginians are pretty insular, and pretty proud of where they come from. Your friend's attitude of treating West Virginians as people in need of outsider help would be seen as offensive. Also, there is a HUGE difference between WV, MA, and LA. I would advise your friend that he should spend a few weeks living in West Virginia before opting to go there. He might very well despise the people, or he might love them. I just get this sense your friend is pretty naive. Also, dare I fail to mention what all firms will be thinking, that being "FUDGING HUGE FLIGHT RISK I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MY MONEY ON THIS OUT OF STATE GUY WHO CALLS WEST VIRGINIANS APPALACHIANS."

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I can't speak to the WV legal market, but I do have some insight into the people of West Virginia because my family is originally from there, and I have traveled to WV about a dozen times. My sense (and the sense of nearly everyone here) is that West Virginians are pretty insular, and pretty proud of where they come from. Your friend's attitude of treating West Virginians as people in need of outsider help would be seen as offensive. Also, there is a HUGE difference between WV, MA, and LA. I would advise your friend that he should spend a few weeks living in West Virginia before opting to go there. He might very well despise the people, or he might love them. I just get this sense your friend is pretty naive. Also, dare I fail to mention what all firms will be thinking, that being "FUDGING HUGE FLIGHT RISK I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MY MONEY ON THIS OUT OF STATE GUY WHO CALLS WEST VIRGINIANS APPALACHIANS."

*I* said Appalachia, not him! :oops: Sorry, I'm from Philly and know next to nothing about the state aside from visiting there once 13 years ago and reading Buffalo Creek Disaster for Civ Pro, lol.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:07 pm

TTH wrote:
Red Beard wrote:

Is Dinsmore the best firm to work for though? I always thought that Steptoe and JK were the gold standard in WV. Is there any truth to that?

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
TTH wrote:
Red Beard wrote:

Is Dinsmore the best firm to work for though? I always thought that Steptoe and JK were the gold standard in WV. Is there any truth to that?

I would rank Dinsmore towards the bottom unless you can get an offer for their Ohio offices. I mean, it's a solid gig and you'll have a lot of work. But it's not looked at as highly as Steptoe and Jackson are. Frankly, Spilman Thomas and Bowles Rice are also "better" firms in WV (at least in terms of local perception).

I would say that Steptoe is #1 in WV, Jackson #2, Spilman/Bowles tied for #3, and Dinsmore and Nelson Mullins tied for #5.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Red Beard wrote:
I would say that Steptoe is #1 in WV, Jackson #2, Spilman/Bowles tied for #3, and Dinsmore and Nelson Mullins tied for #5.

Also is there any PPP or partner pay data for any of these firms? I know it's not really a useful number, but I can't find anything.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:26 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Red Beard wrote:

Also is there any PPP or partner pay data for any of these firms? I know it's not really a useful number, but I can't find anything.

No clue.

The only thing I even know remotely related is that Steptoe tries to get every SA into the partnership track and they bring you in with the intention of making partner (i.e. they won't kick you out after 5 years unless you are a shitty attorney). No idea as to any of the pay data other than starting salaries.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Red Beard wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Red Beard wrote:

No clue.

The only thing I even know remotely related is that Steptoe tries to get every SA into the partnership track and they bring you in with the intention of making partner (i.e. they won't kick you out after 5 years unless you are a shitty attorney). No idea as to any of the pay data other than starting salaries.

Yeah, I remember hearing something like that. That + low CoL is very attractive. Plus, all the recent Marcellus work seems to really have made these firms prosperous.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm

If I were ranking WV firms, I'd probably start with Goodwin and Goodwin. It's a much smaller firm than the big four, but in an area where relationships are everything, they've got immense reach.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 pm

TTH wrote:If I were ranking WV firms, I'd probably start with Goodwin and Goodwin. It's a much smaller firm than the big four, but in an area where relationships are everything, they've got immense reach.

It would be up there for lit. Not for anything else. The big four dominate G&G in every category but lit work. And even then, they will get most of the big money gigs from out of state clients. G&G would be a good place to get some real trial experience, though. They also only take 1 (if that) new associate per year.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Interesting take on the WV legal market right now from a WVU Law professor: --LinkRemoved--

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Red Beard wrote:Interesting take on the WV legal market right now from a WVU Law professor: --LinkRemoved--

Am disappoint that the op-ed turned out to be a WVU Law Admissions Brochure. C'mon Gazette, have some pride.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

What is starting pay for WV PD?

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 pm

PinkLotus wrote:What is starting pay for WV PD?

Don't know, to be honest. I am a bit surprised that WVU students aren't posting up in here (unless I am mistaken).

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 pm

TTH wrote:
Red Beard wrote:Interesting take on the WV legal market right now from a WVU Law professor: --LinkRemoved--

Am disappoint that the op-ed turned out to be a WVU Law Admissions Brochure. C'mon Gazette, have some pride.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, there's a good point or two in there (i.e. more people should target WV), but everything else was fluff.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

PinkLotus wrote:What is starting pay for WV PD?

If you have access to the BYU intercollegiate job bank, log in and look at WVU's symplicity postings. I bet you can find a PD office on there.

A lot of PD work in WV gets farmed out to solos and small firms and is paid on an hourly basis.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 pm

One interesting thing about WV law is how many damn Farrells there are. And the fact that they are all related.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 pm

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/node/2740

Wow, this native New Yorker from FORDHAM managed to break into the WV PI market. I suppose all hope is not lost for my friend, lol.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 am

Red Beard wrote:One interesting thing about WV law is how many damn Farrells there are. And the fact that they are all related.

It's not an uncommon thing in the state, especially in government.

Return to “Legal Employment”