West Virginia Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: West Virginia Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have heard ties are required at Steptoe.

Really? I think maybe one attorney wore a tie at my CB.

I know 3 people who worked there last year and all of them said a tie was recommended for SAs. Just what I've heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have heard ties are required at Steptoe.

Really? I think maybe one attorney wore a tie at my CB.

I know 3 people who worked there last year and all of them said a tie was recommended for SAs. Just what I've heard.

I tie but no suit?

Seems a bit silly. A tie should be worn with a suit.

Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 pm

Good to know. Any word re: suits? Wear one but take the coat off? Don't wear one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Good to know. Any word re: suits? Wear one but take the coat off? Don't wear one?

Same question. I hate this "business casual" when it's a suit minus the jacket. Either require suits or have true business casual.

What is everyone going to wear at S&J for the summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Good to know. Any word re: suits? Wear one but take the coat off? Don't wear one?

Same question. I hate this "business casual" when it's a suit minus the jacket. Either require suits or have true business casual.

At a different big 4 but will just wear a suit the first day and adjust unless instructed otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Suit the first day, leaving it hung in my office for the rest of the summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 am

I am going to be in Charleston this summer and I am from out of state and oblivious. Are there any bad neighborhoods I should be wary of living in? I want to be close to downtown because I want to be close to work and things to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to be in Charleston this summer and I am from out of state and oblivious. Are there any bad neighborhoods I should be wary of living in? I want to be close to downtown because I want to be close to work and things to do.

Also looking for temporary housing for the summer, and would like to be downtown. I could not find much online. Craigslist especially was pretty fruitless.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am going to be in Charleston this summer and I am from out of state and oblivious. Are there any bad neighborhoods I should be wary of living in? I want to be close to downtown because I want to be close to work and things to do.

Also looking for temporary housing for the summer, and would like to be downtown. I could not find much online. Craigslist especially was pretty fruitless.

You definitely have to be conscious of where you're living. I think downtown (near the mall) would definitely be fine. Areas I'd definitely avoid include (ironically enough) near the Capitol and the east side, but the area bounded by Greenbrier St. to the Civic Center, Washington St. and the river is all probably just fine.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Anyone who will be in charleston who is potentially interested in a roomate/looking for a sublet together, PM me. I am looking for housing downtown and a roomate would allow a nicer apartment/defray costs.
Last edited by hephaestus on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Edit: double post.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 pm

It seems to me WV has one of the larger SA markets ITE outside the true biglaw states in comparison of the rest of the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am

cdelgado wrote:It seems to me WV has one of the larger SA markets ITE outside the true biglaw states in comparison of the rest of the country.

Absolutely. I would sure say so. Especially compared to the amount of students actually going to law school in the state.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cdelgado wrote:It seems to me WV has one of the larger SA markets ITE outside the true biglaw states in comparison of the rest of the country.

Absolutely. I would sure say so. Especially compared to the amount of students actually going to law school in the state.

Dat Fracking Boom.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Which makes one wonder. What happens when that business dries up? It probably won't happen until after my lifetime.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm

cdelgado wrote:Which makes one wonder. What happens when that business dries up? It probably won't happen until after my lifetime.

That's why a firm like Steptoe is trying to get into different markets during its multi-state expansion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cdelgado wrote:Which makes one wonder. What happens when that business dries up? It probably won't happen until after my lifetime.

That's why a firm like Steptoe is trying to get into different markets during its multi-state expansion.

Hope it remains steady!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hope it remains steady!

Agreed. I see no reason why it should not, considering Steptoe is hiring like crazy for the energy field right now. They certainly seem to think that it will be around for a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 am

Absent a couple JK posters, looks like most of us are headed to S&J this summer.

Everyone ready to start their summer with S&J? Plan on staying with the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Absent a couple JK posters, looks like most of us are headed to S&J this summer.

Everyone ready to start their summer with S&J? Plan on staying with the firm?

Yes and hopefully!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm

For those headed to Charleston- where are you living? I've heard the dorms are basically the best option (flexible, dirt cheap, etc.), but didn't know if this is where most are gravitating toward

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those headed to Charleston- where are you living? I've heard the dorms are basically the best option (flexible, dirt cheap, etc.), but didn't know if this is where most are gravitating toward

What dorms? Also Im open to splitting a place if anyone else is interested. However, I have not found much yet. Most of the places I have called require a minimum of 3 months. The Charleston Craigslist is also pretty dead.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those headed to Charleston- where are you living? I've heard the dorms are basically the best option (flexible, dirt cheap, etc.), but didn't know if this is where most are gravitating toward

What dorms? Also Im open to splitting a place if anyone else is interested. However, I have not found much yet. Most of the places I have called require a minimum of 3 months. The Charleston Craigslist is also pretty dead.

The UC dorms. They're right across the river from the State House.

There's no good way for finding Charleston housing online. You might ask the recruiting person at your firm if they keep any sort of registry of apartments. They might be willing to help. Other than that, check the Gazette classifieds.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:37 pm

TTH wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

The UC dorms. They're right across the river from the State House.

There's no good way for finding Charleston housing online. You might ask the recruiting person at your firm if they keep any sort of registry of apartments. They might be willing to help. Other than that, check the Gazette classifieds.

Can anyone point out the link to the UC dorms? I looked and could only find info for current students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:54 pm

I've been playing phone tag with them for a while: 304-357-4800. Maybe you'll have more success? If you end up getting someone mind posting back on here?

Return to “Legal Employment”