West Virginia Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cdelgado

Re: West Virginia Legal Market

Postby cdelgado » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
cdelgado wrote:I am very familiar with the legal market in WV.

Unless you have ties or went to WVU law, forget it.

Maybe you could swing it in the eastern PH near Martinsburg. Not much else though.

"eastern PH"? (sorry, Philly gal here!)

Yeah, that's precisely what I figured. I'm gonna tell him to not expect to be welcomed with open arms and to network like crazy with the handful of BC alums that are there. Perhaps a downward transfer to WVU Law is in order if he's so bent on ending up there? As a friend, I'd be sorry to see him go, but it would be more ideal for his very specific career goals. He doesn't regret coming to BC, but is a bit disillusioned with certain aspects of the experience--for example, the very "privileged" student body (I suppose this is the case at all top schools), obsession with BigLaw, etc.

Entirely my fault - typing between class. Eastern Panhandle region (in the DC metro market). They are more willing to accept "outsiders." To some degree the Northern Panhandle (Wierton/Wheeling) but that is a smaller market and subject to competition from WVU and Pitt.

I have a name of a BU alum if you want to PM me.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 pm

pjo wrote:Also, there is a big difference between North West Virginia (Weirton/Morgantown/Huntington) and South West Virginia (Charleston and south). Your friend should research the difference.

I'm still trying to figure out how Huntington is in "Northern WV". Did you mean Clarksburg/Bridgeport?

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Maybe you could swing it in the eastern PH near Martinsburg. Not much else though.

That isn't as true as it used to be. The bigger firms in the area are all beginning to branch out and have W&M and W&L seem to have large alumni bases in the WV law firms.

It's a different story for PI and shit like that, though. All of that will be dominated by locals.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:00 pm

PinkLotus wrote:

"eastern PH"? (sorry, Philly gal here!)

Yeah, that's precisely what I figured. I'm gonna tell him to not expect to be welcomed with open arms and to network like crazy with the handful of BC alums that are there. Perhaps a downward transfer to WVU Law is in order if he's so bent on ending up there? As a friend, I'd be sorry to see him go, but it would be more ideal for his very specific career goals. He doesn't regret coming to BC, but is a bit disillusioned with certain aspects of the experience--for example, the very "privileged" student body (I suppose this is the case at all top schools), obsession with BigLaw, etc.

If he wants to transfer, it'd be better to lateral to W&M or W&L. No need to go down to WVU.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:04 pm

wvuchip wrote:
pjo wrote:Also, there is a big difference between North West Virginia (Weirton/Morgantown/Huntington) and South West Virginia (Charleston and south). Your friend should research the difference.

I'm still trying to figure out how Huntington is in "Northern WV". Did you mean Clarksburg/Bridgeport?

Well, Huntington's weird/random ego problem places their heads north of Morgantown and the rest of the PH . . . :lol:

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

wvuchip wrote:

Meh, it's not northern obviously, but it's not Charleston/Beckley/Bluefield either. Western would be more appropriate.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

Meh, it's not northern obviously, but it's not Charleston/Beckley/Bluefield either. Western would be more appropriate.

It's a 40 minute drive from Charleston.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Red Beard wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

It's a 40 minute drive from Charleston.

I know, but the culture is very different. I would not call Huntington "southern" WV.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:23 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I know, but the culture is very different. I would not call Huntington "southern" WV.

The culture isn't much different fron Charleston. It's Charleston with more meth.

I like Huntington a lot more, but I don't really consider it all that different culturally wise.

Just my two cents.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Also, this could be a surprisingly helpful thread for anyone actually looking and thinking about WV.

WV has a surprisingly healthy legal market. The firms aren't paying 160 (the bigger firms are starting people at $78,000 right now), but the COL is relatively cheap.

If people want oil & gas, WV will be one of the places to be for some time. Morgantown, Bridgeport, and Charleston (the main cities for the bigger firms) are all nice places to live (I prefer the first two listed). If you want oil & gas and want to have WV as an option (but not the only option), W&L and W&M are great schools for this (if you can get a scholarship).

There is relatively little competition for these firm gigs as people get turned off 1) by the state and 2) by the pay. But in a market where beggars can't be choosers, making nearly 80K to start in WV is a much better option than not having a job.

Trogdorburninator

Postby Trogdorburninator » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Red Beard wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

Well, Huntington's weird/random ego problem places their heads north of Morgantown and the rest of the PH . . . :lol:

I'm from about 20 minutes outside of Huntington (I've lived here my entire life and now go to Marshall), and I think we are culturally pretty similar to southern WV, just with a higher crime rate, lol. My boyfriend is from Boone, and whenever I tease him about it he tells me Cabell is just as southern.

I'm a 0L, and I'm not planning on attending law school or practicing here, but from what I've observed everything is pretty insular. WV is experiencing brain drain because native West Virginians don't want to stay here, so it makes sense to be skeptical of people without ties.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Trogdorburninator wrote:
Red Beard wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

I'm from about 20 minutes outside of Huntington (I've lived here my entire life and now go to Marshall), and I think we are culturally pretty similar to southern WV, just with a higher crime rate, lol. My boyfriend is from Boone, and whenever I tease him about it he tells me Cabell is just as southern.

I'm a 0L, and I'm not planning on attending law school or practicing here, but from what I've observed everything is pretty insular. WV is experiencing brain drain because native West Virginians don't want to stay here, so it makes sense to be skeptical of people without ties.

Cabell >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boone

Although Boone does have that Boone County mating call thing.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Trogdorburninator wrote:
Red Beard wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

Sorry you live in Salt Rock.

I'm really shocked that there are this many folks from West Virginia on TLS. Anyhow, Charleston and Huntington are pretty similar, except that people in Huntington are a fair bit more provincial than people in Charleston. Neither city is culturally similar to either northern (i.e., Clarksburg, Morgantown, Panhandle) or southern (i.e., coal fields, OutWayne) West Virginia.

This thread is giving me a craving for Tudor's.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm

wvuchip wrote:

Yeah I meant Bridgeport. Wasn't thinking correctly. Also meant to type Wheeling not Weirton but I guess it's the same point.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 pm

This thread is gold. Pleasantly surprised that there are so many WV kids on TLS!

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 pm

TTH wrote:This thread is giving me a craving for Tudor's.

I could go for a Duke biscuit right now.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Is anyone in this thread actually at WVU? I know their 1L OCI is coming up next week or something.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Red Beard wrote:

I have a craving for a chicken biscuit and/or diabetes. :lol:

Red Beard wrote:Is anyone in this thread actually at WVU? I know their 1L OCI is coming up next week or something.

I have a couple friends there if you need to know something specific.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 am

Since there are so many West Virginian's here, I was wondering what the overall opinion of Steptoe Johnson PLLC is in the state? Has the firms recent expansion into Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania made it any less insular?

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 am

wvuchip wrote:
Red Beard wrote:

I have a craving for a chicken biscuit and/or diabetes. :lol:

Red Beard wrote:Is anyone in this thread actually at WVU? I know their 1L OCI is coming up next week or something.

I have a couple friends there if you need to know something specific.

Nah, I'm good. I'm a 2L with employment. Was just curious how good the 1L OCI looks for them this year. Have a friend at WVU and hope he gets an offer.

And the diabetes is sprinkled on as an extra on Tudor's biscuits, I think.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since there are so many West Virginian's here, I was wondering what the overall opinion of Steptoe Johnson PLLC is in the state? Has the firms recent expansion into Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania made it any less insular?

If you want WV, you are going to be able to get it with a T20 or degree from W&M/W&L. You aren't going to have to be born and bred in WV to get a job, but they are going to want to know why the hell you want to be there.

I would say the most "insular" firm in WV is Jackson Kelly. Serious ties required (although, again, you don't have to go to WVU).

Steptoe, as it expands, will likely start taking in more diverse groups of people.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:04 pm

I attended undergrad in WV. Hoping my ties pay off in terms of summer employment.

Huntington and Charleston are different socially and economically.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since there are so many West Virginian's here, I was wondering what the overall opinion of Steptoe Johnson PLLC is in the state? Has the firms recent expansion into Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania made it any less insular?

I can only offer anecdotal stories. I go to a T14 and got an interview with them both as a 1L and 2L. Turned it down both times because I got offers at another firm that was more in the geographic region I wanted. My only tie is that my dad grew up in Weirton and my grandparents still live there.

My very good friend from my school applied and didn't even get a screening interview. She was top 1/4 but no ties to WV.

Ties matter a lot for all WV firms. Even if you're at T14.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 pm

pjo wrote:

I can only offer anecdotal stories. I go to a T14 and got an interview with them both as a 1L and 2L. Turned it down both times because I got offers at another firm that was more in the geographic region I wanted. My only tie is that my dad grew up in Weirton and my grandparents still live there.

My very good friend from my school applied and didn't even get a screening interview. She was top 1/4 but no ties to WV.

Ties matter a lot for all WV firms. Even if you're at T14.

The key is, if you don't have true ties, just emphasize why you actually want to be there. I'd be willing to bet that your friend wrote a more generic letter (which simply won't fly). If you have a plausible reason, you'll get that screener. Then you'll get grilled on it even more.

Anyone wanting WV, even as a safety area, should have a real reason why they think they would want to be there. If you can't think of one, just start getting really into WVU football, as you can at least say you're a big fan (and WVU football runs the NPH (and most of the state -- fuck Marshall).

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 pm

cdelgado wrote:I attended undergrad in WV. Hoping my ties pay off in terms of summer employment.

Huntington and Charleston are different socially and economically.

Those ties should be solid. Just emphasize why you want to be back.

Return to “Legal Employment”