West Virginia Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Re: West Virginia Legal Market

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 am

Not a WVU fan, but I always laughed when people kept defending Stew after that whole media debacle because he was such a good guy. Seemed like a total dick move to me.

Red Beard

Postby Red Beard » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 pm

So back to the topic at hand (well, in all reality, being a WVU fan will help with getting a job in WV).

Anyone get dat firm job in WV?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Red Beard wrote:So back to the topic at hand (well, in all reality, being a WVU fan will help with getting a job in WV).

Anyone get dat firm job in WV?

Had 2 CBs in January. Still waiting to here. For 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm a current 3L who has worked for one of the "big 4" for the past two summers and will be returning post graduation....I'm happy to answer basic questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 pm

For the 1Ls who had interviews at the big firms, steptoe in particular, did any of you go through OCI or did you mass mail the firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the 1Ls who had interviews at the big firms, steptoe in particular, did any of you go through OCI or did you mass mail the firms?

Mass mail but significant ties.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current 3L who has worked for one of the "big 4" for the past two summers and will be returning post graduation....I'm happy to answer basic questions.

Do you know anything about what partnership at these places translates to? I know that most (all) of the big four allow anyone who wants partnership to get it. Is partner pay lockstep?
Do you know about associate pay progression?
Edit: I meant lockstep, not even. I guess the crux of what I was just looking for any information you had.
Last edited by hephaestus on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

My friend still hasn't applied to a single place. I'm tempted to falsely imprison him in a small room until he cranks out a cover letter...if that doesn't work, I'm through with being his job search "mommy". :P

Real excited about my trip this summer. Anyone been to Grand Vue Park in Marshall County, WV? The zipline tour looks pretty dope. :)
http://www.grandvuepark.com/zip-line-tour.php

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 pm

I can confirm Steptoe already has callbacks out for 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current 3L who has worked for one of the "big 4" for the past two summers and will be returning post graduation....I'm happy to answer basic questions.

Do you know anything about what partnership at these places translates to? I know that most (all) of the big four allow anyone who wants partnership to get it. Is partner pay lockstep?
Do you know about associate pay progression?
Edit: I meant lockstep, not even. I guess the crux of what I was just looking for any information you had.

Also interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm Steptoe already has callbacks out for 1Ls.

What do you mean out? Scheduled or have you had it? From WVU 1L OCI or other?
Also, office, if you dont mind?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 am

Interviewed at Steptoe a 1 1/2 weeks ago and Spilman just over a week ago through 1L OCI. Heard 1L OCI is basically a joke. If Steptoe's already done callbacks and I haven't heard anything yet I'm guessing that's a bad sign? Non-WVU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:03 am

^ also Charleston Steptoe office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 am

Did you participate in OCI? At my interview they said they were not going to offer any call backs until they had finished visiting schools, which will be the Feb. 28.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you participate in OCI? At my interview they said they were not going to offer any call backs until they had finished visiting schools, which will be the Feb. 28.

I am at a different school than WVU and not a 1L. I do have a friend who has confirmed that he has a Steptoe callback. He got it soon after his interview. Knowing Steptoe, they will schedule some more callbacks next week, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at Steptoe a 1 1/2 weeks ago and Spilman just over a week ago through 1L OCI. Heard 1L OCI is basically a joke. If Steptoe's already done callbacks and I haven't heard anything yet I'm guessing that's a bad sign? Non-WVU.

1L OCI at WVU tends to net top WVU students firm jobs, so 1L OCI there isn't necessarily a joke. At other schools, I'd agree.

And I would say not hearing back isn't a horrible sign yet. Steptoe tends to send out rejections quite fast. Keep your head up. They likely want to get the WV students in first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What do you mean out? Scheduled or have you had it? From WVU 1L OCI or other?
Also, office, if you dont mind?

As I mentioned, I only know of a student who is a friend of mine who has received one. Most callbacks will be for the Bridgeport office (their main office). Morgantown will take 1 1L and the other offices around the same. I think that Bridgeport will take 4 or so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I will be a 2L working at Steptoe who previously did a callback as a 1L. If any 1Ls have questions about how their callbacks will go, post up and I will answer any questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Interviewed 1L OCI with Steptoe a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at Steptoe a 1 1/2 weeks ago and Spilman just over a week ago through 1L OCI. Heard 1L OCI is basically a joke. If Steptoe's already done callbacks and I haven't heard anything yet I'm guessing that's a bad sign? Non-WVU.

1L OCI at WVU tends to net top WVU students firm jobs, so 1L OCI there isn't necessarily a joke. At other schools, I'd agree.

And I would say not hearing back isn't a horrible sign yet. Steptoe tends to send out rejections quite fast. Keep your head up. They likely want to get the WV students in first.

Rejections from screeners or callbacks? I've been waiting for several weeks post CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Rejections from screeners or callbacks? I've been waiting for several weeks post CB.

Both. If you haven't got a rejection, don't feel that it is hopeless yet. Again, they are going to want to get the WV kids in first before they move on to non-WVU students getting offers. This is much more prevalent for 1L OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Both. If you haven't got a rejection, don't feel that it is hopeless yet. Again, they are going to want to get the WV kids in first before they move on to non-WVU students getting offers. This is much more prevalent for 1L OCI.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if this is how the other big firms in WV work? Specifically JK or Bowles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Both. If you haven't got a rejection, don't feel that it is hopeless yet. Again, they are going to want to get the WV kids in first before they move on to non-WVU students getting offers. This is much more prevalent for 1L OCI.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if this is how the other big firms in WV work? Specifically JK or Bowles.

I assume it is the same at both. I have no connections at either firm, though. Was not a fan of JK during the interview process and never felt the need to do a callback (declined it).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know Steptoe has interviewed at some schools in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Do they really prefer WVU students that much? What chance do students at other schools they interviewed at have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know Steptoe has interviewed at some schools in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Do they really prefer WVU students that much? What chance do students at other schools they interviewed at have?

I think for a 1L, ties are more important. There is a sense of loyalty to the school and state. This grows less for 2Ls and permanent offers.

Return to “Legal Employment”