Oxford Law Grad—Prospects of BIGLAW?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DanDescartes

Oxford Law Grad—Prospects of BIGLAW?

Postby DanDescartes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:09 am

Hi guys. I'm currently in my final year at the University of Oxford in the UK and am predicted by my tutors to graduate with First Class Honours.

I was just wondering if any BIGLAW firms would be willing to take a chance on hiring me, should I choose to take (and hopefully pass) the New York State Bar Exam. I am a US citizen, so there will be no visa issues to settle.

Also, would it be worth my time and money to go for an LLM at HYSCCN before looking for employment in the US? From what I can tell, these LLM programmes are monumental moneysinks for JD graduates, but may be useful for foreign-trained law students hoping to practice in the US.

Any advice will be welcome. Thank you for reading.

kryptix

Re: Oxford Law Grad—Prospects of BIGLAW?

Postby kryptix » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 am

I'm actually not sure you can sit for the NY bar without the LLM...

That said, you might want to reach out to the Magic Circle firms first because in my experience, US LLM programs usually do not help LLMs with job placement in the US, and you would need to look for a summer position for this summer (before the LLM starts) to join this recruiting cycle. I think it might be a bit too late at this point.

I did meet a German lawyer at a V30 who the firm agreed to bring in as an associate in NY upon completing her LLM in NYC, so I guess its possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Also, would it be worth my time and money to go for an LLM at HYSCCN before looking for employment in the US? From what I can tell, these LLM programmes are monumental moneysinks for JD graduates, but may be useful for foreign-trained law students hoping to practice in the US.

It use to be that someone with your credentials (native English-speaker, top grades from a top English-speaking university) would have a decent shot at NY or CA biglaw with a top-tier LLM. I don't know if that's still the case. But you certainly can call/email the LLM admissions people at those schools and ask for a list of recent grads and where they ended up working.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

kryptix wrote:I'm actually not sure you can sit for the NY bar without the LLM...

You can do it. I did with an LLB from UCL.

DanDescartes wrote:Hi guys. I'm currently in my final year at the University of Oxford in the UK and am predicted by my tutors to graduate with First Class Honours.

I was just wondering if any BIGLAW firms would be willing to take a chance on hiring me, should I choose to take (and hopefully pass) the New York State Bar Exam. I am a US citizen, so there will be no visa issues to settle.

Any advice will be welcome. Thank you for reading.

Look, I did this exact thing. Took the NY Bar in 2009 (also a US citizen) and couldn't find a big law job because that's just not how the system works. There are so many unemployed graduates of US law programs, US firms really don't need us. I'm a 2L at a US JD program now and it's the best decision I ever made. I think the LLB and the Bar definitely raised eyebrows in a good way during the hiring process - they set me apart from my K-JD, History- or English-major peers.

You can do the LLM if you want, but also bear in mind that there are few positions for LLMs without big firm work experience in US big law. Most of the LLMs I've met are a) planning to go into academia, b) planning to return to the firm they worked at pre-LLM, or c) struggling to find a job here in NY. I honestly can't comment on the likelihood of success for those following path c) because I don't know enough of them.

Depending on how young you are and your financial situation, I think a JD might actually be the best option for giving you the most opportunities in US big law (of course, you could also probably get a TC easily if you stayed in the UK). With your Superior (which is how LSAC will rate your First), you have a better chance at HYS than most applicants, if you get 174ish+ on the LSAT. You might actually be able to do it with a lower LSAT score than that because of declining law school applications, but I'm basing my impression on my cycle, which was 2010-2011. I know that seems like a big commitment, so if you can swing an LLM spot at HYSC that might be the best option, but bear in mind that your credentials will set you apart less in that applicant pool.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

call saul

Postby call saul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:45 am

By graduating first class you shouldn't have any problem working for a top british firm. Why not just go straight into practice and then try and lateral back to the states? I realize there is a huge pay disparity, but keep in mind you only really have an "undergraduate" degree in law.

Either way. I have friends that have done both - LLM to biglaw and magic circle to biglaw. Hearing from both their experiences, I would recommend just working in the UK for a bit and then coming back to the states with experience.

Make money, get experience, and if you feel the need to get a LLM do it as a last resort.

Return to “Legal Employment”