Best Part-Time Jobs to go w/ Judicial Internship/Externship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best Part-Time Jobs to go w/ Judicial Internship/Externship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 am

1L with a judicial internship/externship that pays nothing this summer.

Does anyone have advice for a (hopefully paying) part-time position this summer to supplement it?

From what I've collected thus far:
-Part-time RA position,
-Bartender (?-couldn't really put on a legal resume, right?),
-Part-time clinic position
-Some sort of part-time public interest work?

I searched around and this seems to be a topic relevant to many on TLS but there's little information out there.

dudders

Re: Best Part-Time Jobs to go w/ Judicial Internship/Externship

Postby dudders » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 am

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with RA-ing. I've done it since my 1L summer, and it pays me ($10/hr is still $10/hr), gives me a resume line and useful skills, and has given me a close working relationship with a professor in a position to write me letters of rec for things. Plus I can do most of my job in my pajamas, and on evenings/weekends where it's convenient for me. (This last thing may not be true for everyone - some RA positions can be much more demanding, time-wise or deadline-wise, than mine have been.)

If you have bartending experience and service-industry connections where you are, and can get a schedule that meets your needs, I would be tempted to take that $$ over RAing. But if you don't have experience it can be tough to get a bartending job at all, much less a part-time, temporary one (assuming you'll quit in August).

Even full-time public interest work usually doesn't pay, so don't hold your breath for a paid part-time job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 am

Agreed with the RA. I did it all through law school and it was easy money, you learned about a new area of law, and it can mostly be done in pjs.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm thinking about caddying on weekends and/or maybe bartending. I tended bar once and made $90 but never got a call back.... :oops:

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:I'm thinking about caddying on weekends and/or maybe bartending. I tended bar once and made $90 but never got a call back.... :oops:

not sure if you are serious but my friend had a bartending job for one night. the bar made no money because he gave away too many (every?) drink. so they uh asked him to never come back

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

I was being serious, it actually happened

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:I was being serious, it actually happened

rough man, must have been a pretty preftigious bar

Return to “Legal Employment”