Why I Chose My Law School?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HiiPower2015

Why I Chose My Law School?

Postby HiiPower2015 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 pm

I go to a TTT and am getting ready to start a few rounds of interviews for my 1L summer, mainly with non-profits. I have heard from career services and other places that a question to expect is why I chose to go to the law school that I did. Honestly I chose this law school because I got offered a full-ride with great stipulations and I wanted to go into as little debt as possible in law school. (I plan on just moving back home to my small hometown and being a general practice lawyer so prestige/rank of school wasn't a major issue). that being said, what should I say if asked why I chose this law school in an interview? Should I make up an answer, or would the interviewer appreciate my honesty? I am thinking that most places, especially non-profit with little pay, would appreciate wanting to graduate debt free. Thoughts anyone?

nevdash

Re: Why I Chose My Law School?

Postby nevdash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 pm

I imagine showing foresight and responsibility ITE would be a good thing. But make sure your interviewer isn't an alum; if that's the case, you may have to pretend that you actually wanted to attend your TTT because of its super prestigious concentration in international sports law.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Say it's for the scholarship money so you can help the poors. Non-profits will eat that shit up.

HiiPower2015

Postby HiiPower2015 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Say it's for the scholarship money so you can help the poors. Non-profits will eat that shit up.

thats what I was hoping, thanks for the insight everybody

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:19 am

I have answered that question with 'the money' every time I have been asked. I explain that they made me a scholarship offer that blew the other schools I was considering out of the water, and that I would have been a fool to turn them down. It's a candid response and it shows that you aren't a dunce.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 am

Mention scholarship and how it made you feel appreciated or great place for students etc, but also mention other positive things about the school. Mention a lot of positives and create a narrative about it. Make the school sound like it is YALE.

The reason why they ask that question is not because they care about it, if you are getting interview they think you are qualified, they are not thinking who is this TTT dude, they ask you that question cause they wonder how will you talk to other people about their organization if they hire you.

Saying it was just the scholarship is like being asked on an interview why did you work at Y company, and your response being, cause the money was good. That is bad even if it is absolutely honest.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 am

My standard response was that I had always lived in X town and I wanted to experience Y because this is the last time in my life I would have a chance to be exposed to diverse perspectives and people. This I feel like works well when that are asking about an out of town school and you are trying to come home. It doesn't insult the local schools and explains why you went there in a way other than they gave me hella money or they were the best school that I could get into.

Note: don't know if this is your situation, but felt like sharing anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”