You Got Big Law: YOLO New Car?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

You Got Big Law: YOLO New Car?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Anyone going YOLO this fall and buying a sick new car just for fun once your market-paying job starts? Anyone who went through this years prior care to share their story? Please include what car you plan to buy.

Me: I've dreamed about M3s since high school. When the new model comes out this fall and my job starts, I plan to buy one.

[Moderators, I believe this post to be on topic b/c it contains sensitive personal information about who has secured legal employment]

fatduck

Re: You Got Big Law: YOLO New Car?

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 pm

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

But, if you've wanted it your whole life, live it up. I'd do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I YOLO'd that money right to my student loans. When I burn out of my firm in 4 years, I want to have a zero balance in the student loan account.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone going YOLO this fall and buying a sick new car just for fun once your market-paying job starts? Anyone who went through this years prior care to share their story? Please include what car you plan to buy.

Me: I've dreamed about M3s since high school. When the new model comes out this fall and my job starts, I plan to buy one.

[Moderators, I believe this post to be on topic b/c it contains sensitive personal information about who has secured legal employment]

Kill yourself.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 pm

YOLO and all, it just sounds stupid to sink $80K into a new F30 when you can buy a low mileage E92 for half that. HOWEVER, I love people who make irrational purchasing decision and have to sell at a loss later because they create a continuing stream of low mileage and low priced used cars.

Edit: also what's with anon? You're afraid people will identify you as someone who has a job?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 pm

When that thing comes out, up until about a year and a half or so, it's going to be sold for FAR more than MSRP. I wouldn't be surprised if you see dealerships offering it for $90K once you start checking audio and interior options. There is no way in HELL any 3 series is worth $90K. Actually, I don't know if BMW really makes a car worth that kind of money anymore other than the 760. They've really lost touch with their old base--they're just a Mercedes clone now.

On another note, does anyone know how willing dealerships are to sell a car of that price to someone with $250K in debt? I know that you have a big salary to go along with it but I've always wondered how student loans affect car and home loans.

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm

People who say YOLO are total cunts. I hope you crash your M3 and die in a fiery blaze.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone going YOLO this fall and buying a sick new car just for fun once your market-paying job starts? Anyone who went through this years prior care to share their story? Please include what car you plan to buy.

Kill yourself.

TITCR.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:14 pm

I have no personal experience with the F10 M5 but it has gotten rave reviews from pretty much everybody and IMO would be a better deal at that price. W/r/t Merc convergence, I see that more as a result of AMG catching up with their chassis design and handling than BMW's increasing weight. They've done such a good job that BMW just snatched AMG's head of chassis design to lead their chassis/powertrain development.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Buck.Shot wrote:People who say YOLO are total cunts. I hope you crash your M3 and die in a fiery blaze.

Nooo! I was hoping to buy it cheap in a few years when he's forced to sell after churning out of his firm job.

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 pm

No!!! Don't buy it. You'll never get his swag cooties out of the upholstery.

law2015

Postby law2015 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Buck.Shot wrote:People who say YOLO are total cunts. I hope you crash your M3 and die in a fiery blaze.

STFU

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 pm

law2015 wrote:

STFU

Next time use anon, OP

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Planning on YOLOing a Prius when my clerkship begins. Maybe splurge on some chrome rimz.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Lol @ responses. :)

I wanted anon b/c of the hate. And it's embarrassing to publicly share your intentions to make imprudent financial decisions. So far it looks like I'm the only one...

If F10 M5 prices come in line w/ the new F30(F80) M3s, I would be tempted to pick one of those up instead (though I really like the look of coupes, and would rather drive a coupe while I'm still < 30 w/ no kids: YOLO. I can get an old man/woman car when I'm an old man/woman).

I think I can swing MSRP or even below on the new M3. BMW produces a lot of them and there's a lot of dealers competing. I'm willing to fly to a neighboring state and drive the car home. + I know anecdotally of some getting < MSRP on the e92 '08 M3 in its first year.

User has been warned for the bolded, but not outed since outing would reveal that he/she is working in biglaw.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm a bit surprised at how little reckless spending I see in the biglaw crowd. Some people really splurged on their apartment relative to what they really needed, and some did fancy bar trips, but I haven't really heard of any first year-buying-a-hilarious-car stories.

I'd strongly recommend avoiding the temptation to do anything but aggressively save and pay down debt when you start. If you can build a nice nestegg and at least lower your monthly debt burden, you can start spending with reckless abandon but never fall TOO far behind. You can buy a stupid car any time you want, but debt costs money to hold and if you don't stuff money away in a 401(k) now you can't (necessarily, due to yearly limits) put in extra later to make up for it.

A psychological reason too - you're going to know nothing and be useless. You'll be over compensated for your utter lack of utility, but query whether flaunting that is going to be good for your soul.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm

+1

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm a bit surprised at how little reckless spending I see in the biglaw crowd. Some people really splurged on their apartment relative to what they really needed, and some did fancy bar trips, but I haven't really heard of any first year-buying-a-hilarious-car stories.

Dude I know went Biglaw --> Lexus --> laid off 9 months later --> Honda Civic.

law2015

Postby law2015 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
law2015 wrote:

STFU

Next time use anon, OP

I am not OP.
The best car for the value in my opinion is a 2008 M6 which you can get right now for around 40k.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm

The best car for the value right now is a motorcycle. Vroooom.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

nevdash wrote:Dude I know went Biglaw --> Lexus --> laid off 9 months later --> Honda Civic.

I hope this happens to OP.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Cars are such depreciating pieces of shit.

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm

fatduck wrote:Image
How did Drew Brees end up there?
ETA: Well, turns out that Adam Levine can look like Drew Brees...
Last edited by delusional on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”