Should I send a thank you letter now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I send a thank you letter now?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I went to an OCI a little over a week ago that was strictly public service oriented (non-profit/gov't). I had interviews for non-profit and gov't employers and I'm wondering if I should send thank you notes this early in the game. These were first round interviews and the employers all said they'd be making decisions on who to contact (possibly for more interviews/possibly for hiring) between mid-late February.

Alot of the interviewers were young and I felt like sending a handwritten thank you note might be appreciated. Just not sure if I'm sending these too early in the hiring process. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Should I send a thank you letter now?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went to an OCI a little over a week ago that was strictly public service oriented (non-profit/gov't). I had interviews for non-profit and gov't employers and I'm wondering if I should send thank you notes this early in the game. These were first round interviews and the employers all said they'd be making decisions on who to contact (possibly for more interviews/possibly for hiring) between mid-late February.

Alot of the interviewers were young and I felt like sending a handwritten thank you note might be appreciated. Just not sure if I'm sending these too early in the hiring process. Thoughts?

I'd send it within a few days. You're not saying thank you for the job, you're saying thanks for your time, insight, advice, etc. I think it comes off as more genuine, and will show maturity on your part. Also won't hurt if your thank you card is the tie breaker. ; )

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm

No.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Unnecessary for first round. Send within 24 hours after CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:10 pm

OP here:

So, we have 1 yes, and 1 no. Thanks for the responses. Anyone else? How about an email thank you instead of a handwritten one?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Thank yous are not necessary at any stage. Send them if you wish to anyway, with the caveat that it's bad form to do them late (as it currently is).

Return to “Legal Employment”