Reneging this late in the game Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

If I get an offer from a biglaw firm, should I reneg on the midlaw firm?

Are you kidding!? Dump the midlaw firm and never look back at that TT cesspool.
88%
You're retarded for considering leaving midlaw glory. Stay put, otherwise your legal career is over.
12%

Total votes: 52

Gold

Re: Reneging this late in the game

Post by 005618502 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 am

zomginternets wrote:I'm usually anti-reneging, but in this situation I would. In addition to all of the reasons stated above, exit options out of biglaw are just infinitely superior to the average midlaw firm. This decision will change the trajectory of your entire career, so don't worry about one (douchey-sounding) firm getting butthurt.
Completely agree. Trust me, they wont care as much as you think. Also, who cares if they do.

1) 75k v. 160 COME ON
2) bullshit offer rate

I would tell them that the offer rate is why you made your decision the way you did, that is to risky and if you get no-offered, finding a job will not be easy.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:57 pm

+1. Shitty offer rates are always a legit reason for renegging.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:46 pm

The OPs situation is a no brainer. However, I wonder what the school would say (or could do) about someone reneging from a solid respectable firm because of a $10K-$15K salary difference (given all else was equal).

IMHO schools probably run into this “break your word” dilemma more often than one might suspect. Other than having to face a stern lecture, not sure about the potential consequences (if any).

This question is kind of in the same vain (as in “thanks” but “no thanks), what is the feeling about putting yourself out there during OCI while you are working an SA?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Also, this is why I never tell career services anything.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 pm

cinephile wrote:Also, this is why I never tell career services anything.
exactly. you can guarantee they will only act in their own best interest, and they don't want to piss off a local firm that pays for OCI slots every year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”