Varied experience or known quantity?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Varied experience or known quantity?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Trying to decide between two job opportunities.
One is with the state AG's office. I've been there a year. Can return for another year. Same section, so same experience. Pretty sweet gig, attorneys are super nice, I can work remotely sometimes, etc.

Other is with the City Attorney. Pays a little more. Tiny office. WAY closer to where I live so massive gas $$ savings. Attorneys seem nice, but obviously I don't know how the office runs. Would be doing very different types of law than the section I'm in at the AG's office.

Neither of them are likely to turn into a post-grad job, but I have seen other local City attorney offices hiring recently, whereas the AG's office pretty much only hires with experience unless you get in through the Honors Attorney program. (Which I most likely wouldn't.)

I've gotten very positive reactions to having the AG's office on my resume, don't want to take something that's not as well thought of, but it seems like they'd be comparable?
Any thoughts?

keg411

Re: Varied experience or known quantity?

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Can you go back to the AG during your 3L fall semester? Conversely, can you work for the City during your 3L fall semester?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm

OP here.

Both jobs would be for the summer, and then part time throughout 3L year. So it's one or the other.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

AG > City Attorney as App. Ct. > Trial Ct.

BUT - at this point, there is something to be said for varied experience. I say take the city attorney thing, then you have TWO lines on your resume with legal experience.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:there is something to be said for varied experience. I say take the city attorney thing, then you have TWO lines on your resume with legal experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”