Will I lose my offer if I take the bar in a different state?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will I lose my offer if I take the bar in a different state?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 pm

So.

I have a job offer in New York. Since last summer I've been giving things a lot of thought and I've arrived at the conclusion that I don't want to practice with that firm (definitely), or in New York at all (90% probability). I realize that I've figured that out rather late in the game, but better late than never.

If I take the July bar in a different state, is there any chance, for any reason, that I might lose my offer from the New York firm? I'd like to keep as many options open for as long as possible in service of that 10% chance. I haven't accepted my offer yet and am not expected to, since I'm clerking after graduation.

blurbz

Re: Will I lose my offer if I take the bar in a different state?

Postby blurbz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Just kind of shooting in the dark here: If you don't take the bar in NY, you won't be eligible to practice in NY. If you're not eligible to practice in NY, you're not much use to the NY firm. Yes, I know it's not like you'll be in court as a first year but it's my understanding that firms like their associates to be licensed, you know, where they work.

Sarcasm aside: Yes, you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

What's the other state? A lot of places like you to be licensed in NY too, if possible, so if you're still going to a big firm but located elsewhere in the country, just take the NY bar, clerk, look for another job, and take a second bar if need be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, gee, blurbz, I had no idea.

Sarcasm aside, I meant: is the firm going to immediately identify that I did not sit in July and yank the offer right away?

But the point about a preference for dual licensure is interesting. And makes me feel like taking both might not be a huge waste of time and money.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, gee, blurbz, I had no idea.

Sarcasm aside, I meant: is the firm going to immediately identify that I did not sit in July and yank the offer right away?

But the point about a preference for dual licensure is interesting. And makes me feel like taking both might not be a huge waste of time and money.

Are you trying to get them to pay for your Bar exam for another state without disclosing which state it is?
I think they'll notice when you send them a bill to pay for the Maryland State Bar Exam and the Maryland Barbri Course and ask them to reimburse you.

If you're paying on your own, they probably wouldn't find out until the exam results are released. Even then they might not care.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, gee, blurbz, I had no idea.

Are you trying to get them to pay for your Bar exam for another state without disclosing which state it is?
I think they'll notice when you send them a bill to pay for the Maryland State Bar Exam and the Maryland Barbri Course and ask them to reimburse you.

If you're paying on your own, they probably wouldn't find out until the exam results are released. Even then they might not care.

My firm direct bills, so they get an invoice stating, I presume, which state I signed up for. If your firm is like that, they would notice, obviously. Even if they reimburse you, when they get a receipt for XYZ state bar instead of NY, they might refuse to reimburse you.

ragelion

Postby ragelion » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm

They're going to want to know why you're not on the New York pass list, if they somehow don't figure it out by then.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm

ragelion wrote:They're going to want to know why you're not on the New York pass list, if they somehow don't figure it out by then.

OP, tell them you took a gentleman's fail. That way you buy yourself more time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Good grief, people. No, I'm not trying to get the firm to pay for me to take the bar in a different state. The pass list is what I'm worried about. Two exams it is, then. Ugh.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 am

Take one bar in July and the other in February. The chances you are even on the firm's radar until a month or two before you are slated to start is small.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 pm

In case you haven't already checked, you need to be sure you can actually take both state's bars in July. Some states make it easy and schedule theirs so you can take two (i.e. NY and NJ, NY and Mass.) but you can't, say, do NY and IL or NY and Cali, simply because of the dates. Just something to be aware of.

Return to “Legal Employment”