Akin Gump's pro bono scholar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Akin Gump's pro bono scholar

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 am

Anybody have any experience with this program and its selectivity?
Just sent in my application through email. Did anybody else apply and did you get a confirmation that the email was received. Heard nothing back..

Anonymous User

Re: Akin Gump's pro bono scholar

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I sent mine in about a week ago and nothing but a "thanks for your application" email. It sounds like they don't start making decisions on interviews til about mid-feb. I would guess these are pretty competitive, though, as is any paid 1L position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Hmm, yea. When did you get your confirmation email after you sent in your application. I didn't even get one and am getting worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am

It was basically right after I submitted. I also applied to the D.C. one, though. Not sure if that's the same one you're interested in. Regardless, I wouldn't worry now since it's still a couple weeks from when they suggested they would start calling people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Just got an email from them today. Apparently the pro bono partner is giving a talk next week at my school, and he wants to "speak" with some students one on one after the presentation. Not sure if this is a screener or what, but there seems to be at least some movement happening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It was basically right after I submitted. I also applied to the D.C. one, though. Not sure if that's the same one you're interested in. Regardless, I wouldn't worry now since it's still a couple weeks from when they suggested they would start calling people.

Ah, I applied to the LA office. Maybe they are slow or something. GL all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email from them today. Apparently the pro bono partner is giving a talk next week at my school, and he wants to "speak" with some students one on one after the presentation. Not sure if this is a screener or what, but there seems to be at least some movement happening.

This presentation and one-on-ones happened at my school already and they seemed to be semi-screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email from them today. Apparently the pro bono partner is giving a talk next week at my school, and he wants to "speak" with some students one on one after the presentation. Not sure if this is a screener or what, but there seems to be at least some movement happening.

This presentation and one-on-ones happened at my school already and they seemed to be semi-screeners.

Gotcha. Is business formal credited?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was a mix of biz cas and biz form, but I stuck w/ biz form and felt it was the better option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was a mix of biz cas and biz form, but I stuck w/ biz form and felt it was the better option.

Cool, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Good news is that I got an interview. Bad news is that for last year, they only hired one person..... I hope they change this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Good news is that I got an interview. Bad news is that for last year, they only hired one person..... I hope they change this year.

They? Which office are we talking about here? Or do you mean that there's only 1 PBS for the whole firm - irrespective of office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 am

Is this post-application or post "1L reception" event/pre-application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Good news is that I got an interview. Bad news is that for last year, they only hired one person..... I hope they change this year.

Didn't the application just open? How soon after you applied?

Also, is Akin Gump still making its 1L pro bono scholars come back for your 2L SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:

They? Which office are we talking about here? Or do you mean that there's only 1 PBS for the whole firm - irrespective of office?

Sorry, I meant the LA office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Didn't the application just open? How soon after you applied?

Also, is Akin Gump still making its 1L pro bono scholars come back for your 2L SA?

I applied a week ago and got the email for an interview. And yes, they are making you come back for the 2L summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Post-application. I sent mine in about a week ago to the DC office. Seems more like an interview since the email was referring to me specifically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Post-application. I sent mine in about a week ago to the DC office. Seems more like an interview since the email was referring to me specifically.

What kinda interview? Can you give non-identifiable stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What kinda interview? Can you give non-identifiable stats?

Anon a few posts above suggested it was some sort of quasi-screener I guess? I'll report back next week when I've actually done it myself. MVPB top 15-20%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon a few posts above suggested it was some sort of quasi-screener I guess? I'll report back next week when I've actually done it myself. MVPB top 15-20%

Which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which office?

DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:47 am

Applied on Tuesday. On Wednesday got email for screening interview at my school next week. DC office. This is my dream job!

MVPB top 7-10%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied on Tuesday. On Wednesday got email for screening interview at my school next week. DC office. This is my dream job!

MVPB top 7-10%.

I think we're at the same school :) Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Just had my one-on-one today, and the partner who interviewed me was pretty awesome -- really nice guy. I feel like it went really well, but who knows what will happen with how few slots are available. Based on the questions he asked me, it seemed like it was a screener (e.g. why X city? etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just had my one-on-one today, and the partner who interviewed me was pretty awesome -- really nice guy. I feel like it went really well, but who knows what will happen with how few slots are available. Based on the questions he asked me, it seemed like it was a screener (e.g. why X city? etc.).

Which office was this for?

Return to “Legal Employment”