Firm Politics Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Politics

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:05 pm

I have an interview with a smaller office of large firm next week. In my research, I have found that this firm is very active politically and nearly all of their clients/donations go to one side of the political spectrum. The problem is that I am on the other side of the spectrum. Do you all think this will this be a problem in the interview or if (Lord willing) I get an offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Firm Politics

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't know how helpful 1 anecdote is, but I'm working at a well-known "liberal" firm even though I had a couple of conservative things on my resume. It's a non-issue, didn't come up in interviews at all. I think it might have been more of a problem if I were applying for the firm's DC office or expressed interested in their lobbying / government affairs practice, just because of who their major clients in those areas are.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 pm

How passionate are you about politics? Plan on biting your tongue for a few years, but otherwise it shouldn't be a huge issue.

...unless they're dicks about it, which is entirely possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Leave political activities (ACS/Fed Soc, etc.) off your resume if you're worried about the interview. I wouldn't be, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”