LRW and SA posititon

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LRW and SA posititon

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Does struggling in LRW mean you will have difficulty in a SA position? I am a 1L at a school with P/F LRW. I did well in my classes but struggled with LRW. I will admit I never put any work whatsoever into it, but at this point if I was told to draft a memo I would struggle. (Still passed and final memo was actually mentioned for being very good but I give this credit to a great TA in the class).

Do I need to start focusing in on LRW hardcore? Is doing poorly in LRW an indicator of poor work as a SA?

Kobe824

Re: LRW and SA posititon

Postby Kobe824 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does struggling in LRW mean you will have difficulty in a SA position? I am a 1L at a school with P/F LRW. I did well in my classes but struggled with LRW. I will admit I never put any work whatsoever into it, but at this point if I was told to draft a memo I would struggle. (Still passed and final memo was actually mentioned for being very good but I give this credit to a great TA in the class).

Do I need to start focusing in on LRW hardcore? Is doing poorly in LRW an indicator of poor work as a SA?

Yes, I would start putting forth a great deal of effort -- LRW is the only class that really prepares you for what you'll be doing as a law clerk/SA, which is legal research and writing.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I hated LRW with a passion, blew it off, and ended up with a B-. Was my worst grade in law school. Nevertheless, I had no problem as an SA and received compliments on my writing. As an associate, my evaluations have pointed to my writing as a strog suit several times.

Bottom line- the class really isn't as important a people make it out to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm

nealric wrote:I hated LRW with a passion, blew it off, and ended up with a B-. Was my worst grade in law school. Nevertheless, I had no problem as an SA and received compliments on my writing. As an associate, my evaluations have pointed to my writing as a strog suit several times.

Bottom line- the class really isn't as important a people make it out to be.

This is kind of what I was wondering/hoping to hear. I get I need to get the basics down, especially since I want to do litigation, which I feel like is nothing but memo writing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

You'll be fine. Not putting a lot of effort into LRW when it's not graded is a strategically smart move. Good writing is important, but LRW as taught at many law schools is total bullshit. A lot of law professors are just people who couldn't hack it at firms, and a lot of legal writing professors are people who wanted to be law professors but couldn't come up with enough original research (one of the legal writing professors at my T10 admitted this). They aren't really experts on legal writing.

Return to “Legal Employment”