Is it okay to network from Employment Page of firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it okay to network from Employment Page of firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 am

I know where I will be attending law school and was looking at local firms and was thinking about emailing some of the people (associates and partners if it is appropriate) and trying to network a little while I am in town till the fall. I will be attending a lower t14 on the opposite side of the country and would like to return if possible and figure this is a good way to make contacts.

I would not be aggresive by any means, and would ask about their jobs and their time at the law school I will be attending. As I have no contacts/family in law at all, I was hoping to start networking now.

Is this appropriate or absurd? I feel like I am gunning, but really I am just a nice calm guy and wanna know about my future and hopefully make some meaningful contacts.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Re: Is it okay to network from Employment Page of firms? (0L)

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 am

You're not supposed to post in this forum as a 0L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 am

I saw the 0L thing, but this doesn't deal with "Ask a Law Student" as compared to employment/networking. Feel free to move it, if it fits better else where.

You can also view this for a 1L that is in their first semester. I just want to know networking etiquette and timelines.

cinephile

Re: Is it okay to network from Employment Page of firms?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:57 am

So ask a law student about employment and networking in the ask a law student forum

Jessep

Re: Is it okay to network from Employment Page of firms?

Postby Jessep » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:45 pm

I think it's fine to reach out to these folks. I did something similar through my undergrad alumni association when I was in law school and found it really helpful to talk to lawyers about their career paths and hear about their day to day. My only recommendation is do not be aggressive about asking to meet in person (offer to have coffee if they have time or via email or phone if easier), and I would not recommend asking for a job outright. If you click and they like you, keep them in the loop when you are applying for jobs.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

cinephile wrote:You're not supposed to post in this forum as a 0L

its also a sweet use of anon

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 pm

cinephile wrote:You're not supposed to post in this forum as a 0L

This. But to answer your question, that's completely fine. Worst case scenario is that they don't email you back. I cold-emailed a couple attorneys back home and they were extremely cool about it -- got a free lunch, too. Just make sure there's some kind of connection to the person you're emailing (e.g. same undergrad, went to your future law school, practice area interest, etc.). Makes it a little less awkward IMO.

Return to “Legal Employment”