cigarman wrote:Tax Lawyer, Certificate in Taxation with JD, GULC Tax LLM +employee benefit law currently... here. I don't see anyone asking the posters the very basic questions:
1) Have you taken Federal Income tax? JDs ask me all the time if they should get a tax LLM, but never took federal tax. You can't be admitted without it to the Tax LLM programs! Game over.
2) Did you get an A (or better) in Federal tax... if not GAME OVER.
3) Did you ever take a real "code" course? (evidence doesn't count). Do you know code is very detail oriented and can be tedious (read boring?) Did you "love con law!" or "love crim law"... you are going to HATE tax. This isn't a color outside the lines and argue field. Its what you do inside the lines and push the lines that counts.
4) Do you know what a "romanette" is?
5) We can do math. 92% of you can't.
6) If you have Asperger's or tourettes... WINNER!
6(A)ii(a)3(I)(p) Did that excite you?
Tax lawyer as well with a JD and LLM from GULC. Would like to disagree on some of your points.
2) I got a B+ in fed tax I. It was no big deal. Still graduated from the LLM program with distinction.
5) 95% of the work I do as a corporate tax lawyer does not involve any mathematical heavy lifting. As innumerate as many law students are, I think most can handle the arithmetic and basic algebra involved in tax if they are willing to.
6) My experience is that the Asperger's cases don't actually do all that well. If you can't communicate to your client, you are not going far.