Class Ranking on Resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Class Ranking on Resume

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I am trying to figure out how to put my class ranking on my resume for govt jobs which is required. I just missed top 50%.

Obviously, bottom 50% is not a good idea. How about "middle third"? Has anyone ever used/seen this before. Less optimal is "Top 2/3".

Thoughts?

gaud

Re: Class Ranking on Resume

Postby gaud » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 pm

I wouldn't.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 pm

gaud wrote:I wouldn't.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am trying to figure out how to put my class ranking on my resume for govt jobs which is required. I just missed top 50%.

Obviously, bottom 50% is not a good idea. How about "middle third"? Has anyone ever used/seen this before. Less optimal is "Top 2/3".

Thoughts?

Put your GPA but not your class rank on the resume. My guess is that every employer who would be interested in hiring you wouldn't make their decision based on the fact that you're bottom half versus bottom third versus bottom quarter. If you include your GPA, but not your class rank, at least maybe somebody will think there's a chance you're in the top half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am trying to figure out how to put my class ranking on my resume for govt jobs which is required. I just missed top 50%.

Thoughts?

Put your GPA but not your class rank on the resume. My guess is that every employer who would be interested in hiring you wouldn't make their decision based on the fact that you're bottom half versus bottom third versus bottom quarter. If you include your GPA, but not your class rank, at least maybe somebody will think there's a chance you're in the top half.

OP here...there are explicit instructions to put class ranking on the resume for this position, putting GPA would not suffice. I'm trying to decide which characterization is less onerous.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 pm

At my school they do Top 75% for that position

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Be as precise as your school lets you. If you know you are 234 out of 502, put that. If you know you are top 55%, put that. If your school only will confirm that you are top 75% or top 2/3, then that is what you are stuck with.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:31 pm

iShotFirst wrote:At my school they do Top 75% for that position

If you're going to say "Top 75%," why not just say "Top 95%" (which is technically true) and hope that the employers mistakenly think it means top 5%?
Last edited by nevdash on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:36 pm

nevdash wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:At my school they do Top 75% for that position

If you're going to say "Top 75%," why not just say "Top 95%" (which is technically true) and hope that the employer mistakenly think it means top 5%?

Hahahahaha brilliant!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Thoughts?

OP here...there are explicit instructions to put class ranking on the resume for this position, putting GPA would not suffice. I'm trying to decide which characterization is less onerous.

If that's the case, then I would do this:

TooOld4This wrote:Be as precise as your school lets you. If you know you are 234 out of 502, put that.

I would laugh at "middle third." If you put that, you're certainly not above median; automatically, I would assume that you're somewhere in the bottom third to bottom half—and probably on the lower end of that scale. I think that when you put ambiguous things like that, you're opening yourself up to people assuming the worst. Which is why I think the previous advice of "be as precise as possible" is the way to go.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Thoughts?

There is no N/A option. Then how do they hire from schools that do not rank. Just put your GPA and call it a day.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Unless your rank is impressive, I'd leave it off. GPA is enough.

Return to “Legal Employment”