Taking a break after 1L. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Taking a break after 1L.

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm

My school is in the 60s range. Thanks for your input guys, still undecided though. I'm willing to keep at it, but just worried about family. I know it'll screw up the traditional OCI route, but seeing as how I'll be trying to get as much legal experience as possible (whether it be working part-time through school, externships, volunteering), and hustling my way to a jerb, taking a break doesn't seem so bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:24 pm

lol @ "mid law." Take it from someone in the top ten percent at GW still looking for employment. If you find the midlaws that are hiring please let me know because I'm looking for a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Well, several of my friends that are median at GW got midlaw offers so not sure what to tell ya bud.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, several of my friends that are median at GW got midlaw offers so not sure what to tell ya bud.

Maybe you should do more research beyond your "several" friends. Have you been reading any of the threads with people with way better stats than you who would kill for this "mid law" you think you'll be able to "hustle" and get? I'd be a bit more wary of the top 10 GW guy/girl if I were you. Depends on how much you really value 100 grand I guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, several of my friends that are median at GW got midlaw offers so not sure what to tell ya bud.

Maybe you should do more research beyond your "several" friends. Have you been reading any of the threads with people with way better stats than you who would kill for this "mid law" you think you'll be able to "hustle" and get? I'd be a bit more wary of the top 10 GW guy/girl if I were you. Depends on how much you really value 100 grand I guess.
Yes, I've read. Some with high grades don't have jobs, some with low grades do, vice versa. I'm willing to take the risk than stay at my current school. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I've read. Some with high grades don't have jobs, some with low grades do, vice versa. I'm willing to take the risk than stay at my current school. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.
It did work out for me (i'm not the GW poster above - 3L going to big law). i'm just trying to help you be realistic. these "some"s you mention are not equal in numbers. not even close. the latter are the exceptions.

either way, good luck.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm willing to go to GW with the confidence that I'll land a (~50 attorney) firm. I'm international, so I wouldn't mind working in DC, NY, VA. Yea, it is a tiny drop in the bucket, but I want them to take a breather and not stress out to send my rent. Plus, they'd be able to save some money for my year after.
Wow this is a really bad idea and a really false assumption.

1) Taking a year off is a bad idea unless you want to drop out and not come back.

2) Often times getting into "midlaw" with about 50+ attorneys is harder than biglaw. Its not easy to find a "decent" paying midlaw gig that would take T30% at a TT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”