Taking a break after 1L.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking a break after 1L.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Right now, I have a 10k/year scholarship, but my family is paying for everything else. This really bothers me, I was too eager to go and didn't work for my tuition. I really want to lighten their burden, so I was thinking of taking a break after 1L and working as a legal intern at a local firm or something, just to show I did something. Taking a year off would help my family and let me relax as well since I came K-JD. What do you guys think about taking a year off?

stillwater

Re: Taking a break after 1L.

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 pm

dumb

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Please explain.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Please explain.

explain your long term goals / school rank / grades

Taking a year off will mess up your shot at OCI, among other things. Better to stay in school, let them pay for it, and pay them back when you get a real job after graduation (or even during 2L summer if you get a SA)

Also, getting a job as a legal intern 1) won't be as easy as you think and 2) won't "lighten their burden" near as much as you potentially could by just paying them back after getting a real job. It just wouldn't be worth it.
Last edited by tfer2222 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 2014 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

I can't speak to how it would affect you at OCI, what school range and how are your grades so far? I'd feel better about coming back after a break if i were top 10% than below median.

What about your scholarship, can you retain that if you take a leave?

If not look at it this way. Say you find a full time job paying 35k a year, any more than that might be possible but to expect it is probably unreasonable.

35k - Salary
(5k) - Federal Taxes
(1.5k) - State Taxes
(1.5k) - Social Security
(2k) - Medical Insurance
(6k) - Food
(6k) - Rent
(3k) - Transportation
(4k) - Personal Expenses
----
6k - Net

So if you lose that scholarship, your family is collectively 14k worse off and the benefactor is the law school.

Of course adjust those numbers accordingly, say you live in a low/no state income tax area, you live at home, your parents feed you, and insure you (both still money coming out of their pocket which you are trying to avoid in the first place). I could see that take home number drifting up to 10-15k, but you are fighting an uphill battle to get over 20k which is what it would take to even break even assuming your school pulls your scholly which I assume they will.

If you can get a 50k+ job this becomes a different issue, but I seriously doubt your ability to do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm top 30% at a TT and I'd have to ask about retaining that scholarship, but I was planning to transfer (GW) so OCI is pretty much useless. I want midlaw (at least 50+ attorneys) in the end. Hmm, I was thinking paying them afterwards would be a prudent choice, but it makes me cringe to see them wire rent + tuition. Yea, it probably won't be easy finding a internship either. I wouldn't be paying food, rent, transportation because I'd be living with them. My scenario was:

1L, work for a year, go to transfer school, 2L, 3L, hustle for midlaw.

I guess it's better to just stick it out?

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 pm

I can't speak to how transfers do at GW, but I'm pretty positive big law is out of the question either way.

I also don't know much about this "midlaw" you speak of, but I definitely wouldn't count on getting it. "midlaw" can sometimes be harder to find / get than biglaw.

FYI, paying sticker at GW as a transfer sounds like a bad idea. I'm not sure how much you pay now, but it'll be about 100 grand to finish your last two years of school. 100k of debt + hoping for mid law is a risk I personally wouldn't take.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=203520 these rankings only take into account firms of 100+ attorneys, but it gives you an idea of GW placement.

Do you want to practice in DC? maybe someone else can chime in on the DC "midlaw" market.

edit: i forgot you said your family is paying tuition. Still, taking a year off to make almost nothing will be a tiny drop in the bucket of 100k your family is going to have to pay for GW.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I have a different perspective. I wanted to do this, but couldn't find a job so I came back and regretted coming back every moment of it. Taking a break sounds like the right thing for you to do to regroup and breathe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I think I'm willing to go to GW with the confidence that I'll land a (~50 attorney) firm. I'm international, so I wouldn't mind working in DC, NY, VA. Yea, it is a tiny drop in the bucket, but I want them to take a breather and not stress out to send my rent. Plus, they'd be able to save some money for my year after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 pm

cinephile wrote:I have a different perspective. I wanted to do this, but couldn't find a job so I came back and regretted coming back every moment of it. Taking a break sounds like the right thing for you to do to regroup and breathe.

Hmm, I should make sure I have a position. I guess I'm mainly worried about not following the conventional path and how employers might look at it. If I say I left because I wanted to alleviate my family's financial burden, they might not consider that as an exceptional circumstance and raise an eyebrow.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm willing to go to GW with the confidence that I'll land a (~50 attorney) firm. I'm international, so I wouldn't mind working in DC, NY, VA. Yea, it is a tiny drop in the bucket, but I want them to take a breather and not stress out to send my rent. Plus, they'd be able to save some money for my year after.

As long as you do as much research as you can to justify this confidence. Everyone always thinks they can beat the odds.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cinephile wrote:I have a different perspective. I wanted to do this, but couldn't find a job so I came back and regretted coming back every moment of it. Taking a break sounds like the right thing for you to do to regroup and breathe.

Hmm, I should make sure I have a position. I guess I'm mainly worried about not following the conventional path and how employers might look at it. If I say I left because I wanted to alleviate my family's financial burden, they might not consider that as an exceptional circumstance and raise an eyebrow.

You never tell anyone the truth, they're not entitled to it. You had a family emergency and had to take time off to be with your family. Just be vague.

Postby 2014 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 pm

An international (read needs visa support) who did good but not great at a TT hypothetically transferring to a school that barely places 1/5 of its students in desirable jobs and costs a small fortune.

There are unfortunately worse problems on your plate than whether you take a year off or not, but if you are somehow confident it will work out, who are we to tell you different.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Taking a year off sounds like a waste. If you want to drop out and get a job, then drop out and get a job.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 pm

If you feel guilty take out loans.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm willing to go to GW with the confidence that I'll land a (~50 attorney) firm.

Ugh. This quote and others similar to it is the logic behind why there's still 40-50k people applying to law school this year. Where is your confidence coming from? Do you have an in somewhere? Do you just assume the GW name is going to open doors at ~50 attorney firms? It's not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:59 am

Have you considered going to school part-time and getting a job? You can ease the financial burden without having the gap to explain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:05 am

NinerFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm willing to go to GW with the confidence that I'll land a (~50 attorney) firm.

Ugh. This quote and others similar to it is the logic behind why there's still 40-50k people applying to law school this year. Where is your confidence coming from? Do you have an in somewhere? Do you just assume the GW name is going to open doors at ~50 attorney firms? It's not.

Yea, I know Biglaw isn't likely from GW. I did top 30% at my current school, so assuming my rank won't change significantly, yea I'm confident I'll land a ~50 attorney firm. You make it sound like a sin; you think those odds are no better than my alternatives as a poli sci major?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have you considered going to school part-time and getting a job? You can ease the financial burden without having the gap to explain.

I'm not sure; I'm an international so I'd have to look into that. I was going to move back to my home country and work there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have you considered going to school part-time and getting a job? You can ease the financial burden without having the gap to explain.

I'm not sure; I'm an international so I'd have to look into that. I was going to move back to my home country and work there.

Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can chime in, but it may be worth your time to see if you could get a job here on a student visa.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Yea, I know Biglaw isn't likely from GW. I did top 30% at my current school, so assuming my rank won't change significantly, yea I'm confident I'll land a ~50 attorney firm. You make it sound like a sin; you think those odds are no better than my alternatives as a poli sci major?

What rank is your current school? While top 30% is certainly a fine place to end up, it is not a rank that guarantees you anything. GW has many students who would have been very competitive at even higher ranked schools, but decided to take $$$ to attend. Your assumption about not dropping isn't really grounded in anything but hope.

Also, have you been in discussions with the types of firms you are interested in? If you need a visa, you are more work and overhead for them, as well as a bigger risk.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:44 am

The types of firms you're talking about (from my limited experience) don't hire regularly, so they tend to take on unpaid law student interns and offer them permanent positions after graduation and bar passage if they can. These jobs are much harder to get than big law or even public interest. Act like you're going for big law, don't settle, and you'll end up with options. I also think taking a year out is a bad idea - what job will you get that will enable you to pay anything significant toward your law school expenses? It sounds like you want to take time out for other reasons, though, if you're so committed to the idea. If I were you, I would take someone else's advice and switch to part time while working as a (hopefully paid) legal intern at one of the firms you would be interested in post-grad.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm

I would just drop out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I would just drop out.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Whoever said you may need to regroup and rest: dude 1L is the only part of law school that is stressful academically. The last 2 years are just college part 2.

Return to “Legal Employment”