What would you do if you were me???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AJFAJF

What would you do if you were me???

Postby AJFAJF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:27 am

So I am graduating at my local community college with my AA in Paralegal Studies. My goal in the future is to go to law school, however if that plan doesn't workout I would seek employment as a Paralegal. I am getting ready to make my transfer decision and I have narrowed the field down to 2 colleges that offer a BA in Paralegal Studies. Liberty University and Saint Josephs University (Philadelphia). First of all Liberty is only $325 dollars per credit hour as opposed to $725 per credit hour at Saint Josephs. More then double the price. In addition I would only need 16 courses to finish by B.A. at Liberty as opposed to 22 courses at Saint Joe's. Saint Joe's curriculum includes a few math classes like accounting, macro, 2 100 level maths. Where as Liberty is basically only one math. (I struggle with math.) So this would probably impact my overall GPA.

That being said I would probably finish quicker, be in zero debt, and have a higher GPA at Liberty. But when going to seek employment as a Paralegal in Philadelphia (if I don't go to law school) and they see Liberty University on my resume for my B.A. I may be wishing I had gone to Saint Josephs U... But does the difference in price, extensive curriculum, and probable negative impact on GPA worth it?

gaud

Re: What would you do if you were me???

Postby gaud » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 am

If you're sure you want to go to law school, I'd go to the cheaper school that enables a higher GPA.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 am

AJFAJF wrote:So I am graduating at my local community college with my AA in Paralegal Studies. My goal in the future is to go to law school, however if that plan doesn't workout I would seek employment as a Paralegal. I am getting ready to make my transfer decision and I have narrowed the field down to 2 colleges. Liberty University and Saint Josephs University (Philadelphia). First of all Liberty is only $325 dollars per credit hour as opposed to $725 per credit hour at Saint Josephs. More then double the price. In addition I would only need 16 courses to finish by B.A. at Liberty as opposed to 22 courses at Saint Joe's. Saint Joe's curriculum includes a few math classes like accounting, macro, 2 100 level maths. Where as Liberty is basically only one math. (I struggle with math.) So this would probably impact my overall GPA.

That being said I would probably finish quicker, be in zero debt, and have a higher GPA at Liberty. But when going to seek employment as a Paralegal in Philadelphia (if I don't go to law school) and they see Liberty University on my resume for my B.A. I may be wishing I had gone to Saint Josephs U... But does the difference in price, extensive curriculum, and probable negative impact on GPA worth it?

Liberty Grad Here-

The price looks a lot better at Liberty - but remember, it is a conservative Christian school. You are not allowed to drink, smoke, or have "inappropriate" relations with the opposite sex (includes kissing on campus). You will be required to go to chapel three times a week. I dont know you, but you need to read the Liberty student code of conduct before you go any further with this choice. If the code is something you can live with, then you can choose between these two. (and the code IS heavily enforced). That said, Liberty spends a ton of money on student activities and its pretty fun if you can take the culture (I am a liberal international student and I did just fine there, I did have to pay probably about $300 in fines over the two and a half year period though haha)

St Josephs is a Catholic school but I doubt that they have similar rules to Liberty, or are as strict about it even if they do.

Liberty's employment outlook is not great. I dont know about St Joseph, but Liberty does not have a lot of employers doing job fairs on campus or anything. The school wont help you get a job at all, it is totally up to you. Many of my colleagues worked at the school after graduation and some continue to do so. I got a good job but it had more to do with connections and prior experience. If you plan to go straight to law school from undergrad, this won't affect you.

If you end up going to Liberty: as far as law school, some admissions counselors and job interviewers are going to look at your resume and go :shock: It is a controversial school (maybe less so now/in the future that the founder Jerry Falwell has died). BUT they wont really hold it against you, they will definitely be more curious however. People who have heard of the school will definitely assume you are a Christian conservative. But it doesnt matter much in the end.

Last but not least: DO NOT go to Liberty law school. That is a joke school where every student has the goal to be President but almost all have a very hard time finding jobs. DO NOT GO no matter how much scholarship they give you. It is not worth it.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 am

Also, BA Paralegal Studies from Liberty is an online degree. Be sure you can handle that responsibility before you sign up.

AJFAJF

Postby AJFAJF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:51 am

To the above poster. They only offer the B.A. in Paralegal online so those rules won't affect me. I am a Christian Conservative so it wouldn't bother me either way. Technically I'm a born again Christian so believe my I am no virgin to sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Lol... Just so everyone on here knows that. I realize that for law school admissions it won't really matter but as far as my secondary plan of paralegal... Getting hired by a firm in Philly with an undergrad from Liberty might be hard.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:53 am

Read the rules at the top of each forum before posting. It says in no uncertain terms that the legal employment forum is not for pre-law students.

Return to “Legal Employment”