Taking a non-JD required job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking a non-JD required job

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 am

So, as a 3L staring down the barrel of unemployment, I've been applying more widely than just jobs that require bar passage. Like the hundreds of JD-required jobs I've applied for, this has mostly been a pointless exercise. But now, I have an interview coming up for a non-attorney job. Government, sort of policy-related in a very regulated/legal involved field. Decent pay, too, for government work.

Is this the absolute kiss of death for my law career? I'm not sure I even care, given that PSLF doesn't depend on my getting a law job and after 10 years I can pretend like the mistake of going to law school never happened. But on the other hand, there are law jobs that I honestly want, and want a lot more than this, so it's not a situation of actively wanting to get away from the law. I'm just feeling desperate.

cinephile

Re: Taking a non-JD required job

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:20 am

Sounds like you have a fantastic opportunity and definitely should be taking it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:40 pm

cinephile wrote:Sounds like you have a fantastic opportunity and definitely should be taking it.

If I am offered it, I basically have no choice but to take it, considering the alternative is hoping to not be unemployed. But my question is more, if I do it, does that mean I will never be a lawyer?

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:06 pm

This is just anecdotal and I am only a 2L, but in talking to mentors prior to OCI, I spoke with a partner at a satellite vault 100 office. He started doing [non-JD required] regulatory work for the city transportation network. He made some political connections along the way and ended up doing environmental work for the State and finally lateraled to the V100 satellite.

Anyway, if that helps at all, although I am confident this path is not common. But it can be done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:50 am

You'll be fine if you want to practice law down the road. I'm in a similar position having taken a policy job right after law school with fed govt. Since then, I've had a few legal job interviews and one near offer (three rounds with fed govt agency).

Anywho, through my extensive LinkedIn stalking, I've seen tons of people who started off not practicing law, but then eventually found their way there. Some people have gone back and forth from policy to law...it happens more frequently for people who go in and out of fed govt.

More to the point, I know of a couple people in fed govt who started off in policy then got jobs at the general counsel of their agency. That may be an option too.

There's no straight line to your desired career goal...this is the 21st century, things are far more flexible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better, thank you all. At least I know there is a chance! Plus, maybe people will be more forgiving given the current economic environment.

Return to “Legal Employment”