I know we have this thread a lot, but... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I know we have this thread a lot, but...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm at a T10 and was hired by my summer firm when I had something like top 15% grades. After first semester of 2L, I've dropped to around top 30%. Is this normal? 1L, I had a bunch of As and A-s, but this last semester, I have none. Avoided Cs, but have a B- in a low credit, unconventional course. My firm normally has a 100% offer rate, but I am K-JD and very significantly underperformed my numbers at OCI (for my stats, I came pretty close to striking out), so I am worried my firm might doubt my resolve/commitment (if they ask for grades, I'm not sure). I am sorry if this sounds like subtlebrag or whatever, but I am genuinely worried, because I'm starting to think that I only did that well in 1L because I gunned so hard, and that I could be in for more of this if I don't change study habits. Does this mean I should gun as hard as I did in 1L, or do I just need to chill out?

Pokemon

Gold

Re: I know we have this thread a lot, but...

Post by Pokemon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T10 and was hired by my summer firm when I had something like top 15% grades. After first semester of 2L, I've dropped to around top 30%. Is this normal? 1L, I had a bunch of As and A-s, but this last semester, I have none. Avoided Cs, but have a B- in a low credit, unconventional course. My firm normally has a 100% offer rate, but I am K-JD and very significantly underperformed my numbers at OCI (for my stats, I came pretty close to striking out), so I am worried my firm might doubt my resolve/commitment (if they ask for grades, I'm not sure). I am sorry if this sounds like subtlebrag or whatever, but I am genuinely worried, because I'm starting to think that I only did that well in 1L because I gunned so hard, and that I could be in for more of this if I don't change study habits. Does this mean I should gun as hard as I did in 1L, or do I just need to chill out?
Yes, you should do better as 2L spring. The consensus seems to be that grades matter further down in your career. And honestly, think of a worse comes to worse scenario, let's say you get no offered, would you want to kick yourself for being a lazy 2L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T10 and was hired by my summer firm when I had something like top 15% grades. After first semester of 2L, I've dropped to around top 30%. Is this normal? 1L, I had a bunch of As and A-s, but this last semester, I have none. Avoided Cs, but have a B- in a low credit, unconventional course. My firm normally has a 100% offer rate, but I am K-JD and very significantly underperformed my numbers at OCI (for my stats, I came pretty close to striking out), so I am worried my firm might doubt my resolve/commitment (if they ask for grades, I'm not sure). I am sorry if this sounds like subtlebrag or whatever, but I am genuinely worried, because I'm starting to think that I only did that well in 1L because I gunned so hard, and that I could be in for more of this if I don't change study habits. Does this mean I should gun as hard as I did in 1L, or do I just need to chill out?
Yes, you should do better as 2L spring. The consensus seems to be that grades matter further down in your career. And honestly, think of a worse comes to worse scenario, let's say you get no offered, would you want to kick yourself for being a lazy 2L?
Great username.

I agree that I don't want to be "lazy," because it could also potentially (I know there is argument about this also) matter for positions after your first job, but I mean, I'm just saying that I see the unique kind of effort I put forth in 1L as the kind of thing I would not want to do again if I can help it. (Yes, I know BigLaw will be a time commitment, etc.)

-OP

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 pm

OP: You'll definitely be fired employers never take anybody whose grades drop that's why most large firms have at or near 100% offer rates.
Pokemon wrote:The consensus seems to be that grades matter further down in your career. And honestly, think of a worse comes to worse scenario, let's say you get no offered, would you want to kick yourself for being a lazy 2L?
That's not the consensus at all. If anything, the consensus is the opposite. Inevitably somebody jumps in with a story about one lateral employer asking about grades and then everyone flips a shit. The reality is that hiring after law school is all about who you know and what experience you get.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:51 am

thesealocust wrote:OP: You'll definitely be fired employers never take anybody whose grades drop that's why most large firms have at or near 100% offer rates.
Pokemon wrote:The consensus seems to be that grades matter further down in your career. And honestly, think of a worse comes to worse scenario, let's say you get no offered, would you want to kick yourself for being a lazy 2L?
That's not the consensus at all. If anything, the consensus is the opposite. Inevitably somebody jumps in with a story about one lateral employer asking about grades and then everyone flips a shit. The reality is that hiring after law school is all about who you know and what experience you get.
The three posters we have had on here who have actual experience with lateral hiring (Torney12, ibtvdorm, anon168) have all said that your grades do matter. They said it is not the first thing employers care about, but it can act as an absolute bar. I don't think we have had anyone with actual experience who has said grades don't matter at all (except my mother who is operating off of her experience in the 80s and 90s).

The way I see it is, why not just maintain or improve your grades? It can't hurt. Okay so around finals you have to miss a couple weekends of going out....way worth it in the long run if it does end up mattering.

OP, you will probably be fine with regard to getting an offer from this firm since there is no way for a firm to maintain 100% offer rates without offering people with grade drops. But I would still recommend raising your grades to cover your bases for this firm and future hiring. Grades may come into play for getting an offer from the summer firm if you don't perform well, and they may come into play with regard to lateral hiring. Your first post makes me think you are not a good interviewer since you barely got an offer with top 15% grades. If you aren't going to bring a good interview to the table, you need to bring other things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”