Do Gunners Ever Get There?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
suralin
better than you

Re: Do Gunners Ever Get There?

Postby suralin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

How to be happier (with studies galore):

http://lesswrong.com/lw/bq0/be_happier/

Disclaimer: 0L.

forza

Postby forza » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 pm

It took far too long for this response to show up.

romothesavier wrote:You sound awful in every way. Go drink a beer or ten and stop being a buttmunch.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 pm

fatduck wrote:question: could Obama appoint himself to the Supreme Court?

Depends on what the Supreme Court says.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 pm

With respect to OP: If you think you can be better, and you're not, you are not satisfied. Simple as that. Keep goin for the gold buddy.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 pm

dingbat wrote:You will never be happy

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Munson wrote:I am a 3L at a top school. I'm ranked in the top 1%, published, clerking on the Court of Appeals in a major area and circuit, and then working at a prestigious litigation boutique. All of that should make me feel great, yet I am unsatisfied. It seems like a person can never do enough in this profession. There are always others that have done more, done better, gotten ahead in some way.

Personally, my dream is to be a judge one day. That seems like an incredible quality of life, and I'd love to have the opportunity to serve the public in that role. But when you look at the resumes of virtually every federal judge, it's a real eye-opener. Every one of them had all the credentials I have at this point in their careers, plus more in spades. They were Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review, or won three national moot competitions, or cured cancer. They weren't just top 1%--they were number one. They didn't just clerk in a good circuit in a great city--they clerked for Posner or Kozinski or the like. And then they clerked on the Supreme Court. They had been published six times by 3L year. These people are ridiculous. Who are these people?

Looking at these resumes makes me think, despite the significant success I've had, that I've really fallen short of the glory. Any time I do well at something, but not superbly, I am reminded of my shortcoming. I wonder if this phenomenon isn't endemic of the whole damn profession. Does the gunner mentality ever end in this career? Or is the legal profession a never-ending sink hole that spins until you die? Does anyone else have this feeling that there is no end, that more more more will always be expected no matter how well you do?

Well this is enormously depressing.

I think it has a lot of do with personal perspective. I know a federal prosecutor who enjoys going for the gold, but he does not kill himself over it. Certainly he is very intelligent and naturally gifted at performing his job well, but he does not place his identity in his career. He has a family, a faith, and a network of individuals he values significantly more than perhaps his desire to be the next Scalia.

If you place who you are in something that's very difficult to attain and end up losing it/never achieving it, you essentially destroy yourself (think Icarus and the wax wings). Or even if you do reach that goal, you've invested every aspect of your identity in something quite great and the pride that may come with it can turn you into a total jerk.

/sermon

Good luck on your future plans.

El_Sol

Postby El_Sol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:48 pm

I think this is a legitimate post, and many law students, to some degree, think the same way.

You should try and explore spiritual books, so that it will help you focus on more important things, which will probably help you get a better perspective, and be happier.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Munson wrote:I am a 3L at a top school. I'm ranked in the top 1%, published, clerking on the Court of Appeals in a major area and circuit, and then working at a prestigious litigation boutique. All of that should make me feel great, yet I am unsatisfied. It seems like a person can never do enough in this profession. There are always others that have done more, done better, gotten ahead in some way.

Personally, my dream is to be a judge one day. That seems like an incredible quality of life, and I'd love to have the opportunity to serve the public in that role. But when you look at the resumes of virtually every federal judge, it's a real eye-opener. Every one of them had all the credentials I have at this point in their careers, plus more in spades. They were Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review, or won three national moot competitions, or cured cancer. They weren't just top 1%--they were number one. They didn't just clerk in a good circuit in a great city--they clerked for Posner or Kozinski or the like. And then they clerked on the Supreme Court. They had been published six times by 3L year. These people are ridiculous. Who are these people?

Looking at these resumes makes me think, despite the significant success I've had, that I've really fallen short of the glory. Any time I do well at something, but not superbly, I am reminded of my shortcoming. I wonder if this phenomenon isn't endemic of the whole damn profession. Does the gunner mentality ever end in this career? Or is the legal profession a never-ending sink hole that spins until you die? Does anyone else have this feeling that there is no end, that more more more will always be expected no matter how well you do?

To me this sounds incredibly immature. OP, it is called the human condition. We strive for more, we think the deathbed of the other patient is better than ours or whatever that famous quote is.
Also do not get so caught up on titles etc. It is good to balance your striving with a larger perspective. Think for example about the fact that if you were born 200 years ago, you would probably be a really shitty farmer... that is if you made it to adulthood. That is right, that logic reasoning would not save you from crap weather destroying your farm.

El_Sol

Postby El_Sol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Pokemon wrote:

To me this sounds incredibly immature. OP, it is called the human condition. We strive for more, we think the deathbed of the other patient is better than ours or whatever that famous quote is.
Also do not get so caught up on titles etc. It is good to balance your striving with a larger perspective. Think for example about the fact that if you were born 200 years ago, you would probably be a really shitty farmer... that is if you made it to adulthood. That is right, that logic reasoning would not save you from crap weather destroying your farm.

Or, right now, living in Africa, where people struggle with basic necessities. It's all about perspective, and being appreciative of what you do have, and not what you do not have.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 pm

OP you need a more fulfilling life. Try to develop close personal relationships.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 pm

You need to smoke some good stuff and chill the fuck out.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:50 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:

You need to smoke some good stuff and chill the fuck out.

Very constructive post.

Return to “Legal Employment”