1 week decision deadline! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1 week decision deadline!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:52 pm

I am trying to get a CoA judicial internship and I have an interview lined up for later this month. However, I also applied to a few international companies as backups. I got an offer from a company for an in-house position but have a 1 week decision deadline.
I know most people say that any paid job is better than a non paid job, however if I work for the judge I would get summer funding from my school anyway. The international company won't pay as much as a US firm and the income from the company would roughly equal how much I would get with summer funding, so I'm not sure money is an issue here.

What should I do?!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 1 week decision deadline!

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 pm

What do you *want* to do? which job sounds actually more interesting to you?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

unless you absolutely detest working for a corporation, i'd take the sure thing. it would probably help you more during OCI as far as having more substantive and practical things to talk about.

AnotherYearOlder

New

Post by AnotherYearOlder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 pm

State or Federal CoA? If federal, take it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

AnotherYearOlder wrote:State or Federal CoA? If federal, take it.
It's federal CoA. I haven't gotten an offer though it's just an interview. Does anyone know how good the odds are if I have an interview with a judge? I'm not sure how many people they interview per position.

I would honestly rather work for the judge if I had a choice, but I can see the 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush point ..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm

If you have both, choose based on whether you want to do transactions or litigation. I would take the in-house since there are a lot fewer of those opportunities out there compared to federal court internships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have both, choose based on whether you want to do transactions or litigation. I would take the in-house since there are a lot fewer of those opportunities out there compared to federal court internships.
I don't actually have both, just an interview for the judge not an actual offer. Would you say the in-house is better EVEN if it is an international company abroad? I thought international internships are worth less at OCI

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Is this international internship in the legal group or just a random internship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 pm

f0bolous wrote:Is this international internship in the legal group or just a random internship?
oh yes it's in the legal group

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm

A lot of 1Ls intern with a judge for the summer. The in-house job will give you something relatively different to talk about during OCI.

accidental anon: Lady Heather

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”