Foreign firm for 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Foreign firm for 1L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:46 am

Did anyone work at a foreign firm (native firm, not an office of a US firm) their 1L summer? And if so, how did that go over at OCI?

Anonymous User

Re: Foreign firm for 1L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone work at a foreign firm (native firm, not an office of a US firm) their 1L summer? And if so, how did that go over at OCI?

Yes, in India, 100% foreign firm. It was an interesting curiousity in OCI. 1L summer in OCI is just like checking a box- "did he do something legal his first summer? Check- maybe we'll ask him one interview question about that experience." That's all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone work at a foreign firm (native firm, not an office of a US firm) their 1L summer? And if so, how did that go over at OCI?

Worked at a firm in Brazil. Employers found it interesting and asked tons of questions about it but ultimately I didn't get offers. I think thats more because of my schools ranking than the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Yes, in East Asia. I got the impression that it was generally viewed the same as any other legal experience. It might have helped more for the more globally-oriented firms, but I also had prior work experience in the region so hard to know. It didn't hurt me and I had a great time, so I'd say go for it if you have the opportunity. Lower T14 if that helps.

Return to “Legal Employment”