Put GPA on resume for Public Service Employers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Put GPA on resume for Public Service Employers?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm looking for 1st year summer employment and my GPA is bottom quarter (wah/wah). Granted, this GPA isn't super low compared to some because my school has a higher curve than others, but you know, rank is rank. I'm at a T1 that's strong regionally.

Anyway, I've got a public service oriented career fair coming up that has public interest/non-profit employers all the way up through federal gov't employers. My impression is that you leave your GPA off if it's below median, but I just wanted to make sure before I printed off a ton of resumes on my fancy (expensive) resume paper.

I was thinking, just in case some employers ask about it, that I could bring copies of my transcript to hand them. We were told that for the most part, transcripts won't be asked for...but I'm skeptical.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Put GPA on resume for Public Service Employers?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for 1st year summer employment and my GPA is bottom quarter (wah/wah). Granted, this GPA isn't super low compared to some because my school has a higher curve than others, but you know, rank is rank. I'm at a T1 that's strong regionally.

Anyway, I've got a public service oriented career fair coming up that has public interest/non-profit employers all the way up through federal gov't employers. My impression is that you leave your GPA off if it's below median, but I just wanted to make sure before I printed off a ton of resumes on my fancy (expensive) resume paper.

I was thinking, just in case some employers ask about it, that I could bring copies of my transcript to hand them. We were told that for the most part, transcripts won't be asked for...but I'm skeptical.

It's generally okay to leave GPAs off for public interest employers, anyway, in my experience. Your GPA makes that especially true. Your idea to bring transcripts is a good one.

Return to “Legal Employment”