1L Judicial Internship - answer on the spot?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cedarseoul

1L Judicial Internship - answer on the spot?

Postby cedarseoul » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 pm

I have a lunch interview tomorrow with a state trial judge...we had a good phone conversation, and I think it's conceivable that he might make me an offer. I've heard mixed reviews as to whether it's acceptable to keep a judge waiting (e.g., ask for a few days to think it over); I understand it's unacceptable for fed COA, but for a state trial court...???

I'm still waiting to hear back after several interviews (couple of SA positions, paid int'l fellowship). I have pretty strong academic creds (3.78, LRW HP), and I think I have at least a shot at a paid position...but on the other hand...if it's unacceptable for me to keep the judge waiting, and if in fact he does make me an offer, I want to approach the situation respectfully/properly...

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Judicial Internship - answer on the spot?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

NALP and Law Schools have forced the firms' collective hand at extending offers with long periods for acceptance. It makes sense in that context given that your 2L firm is overwhelmingly where you begin your career and can have long lasting effects. But this isn't the start of a new career you applied for, it's an 8 week internship.

It's not so much that it's unacceptable to keep a judge waiting, it's that you have absolutely no leverage or power to keep the judge waiting. Nor do you have any reason to believe he'll hold the spot open for you other than sheer kindness. You may be pretty cool, but you're entirely fungible with 25 other students willing to accept his offer in half a second.

His response will depend entirely on his personality. He could be jovial and understanding about it and give you a week or two. Or maybe he'll give you the passive aggressive 24 hours. Or he could be confrontational and give you to the end of the phone call / conversation (happened to my girlfriend). If he's offended about being your backup plan, he's not going to just smile politely differ to your wishes. He'll force your hand if he wants to force your hand. I've also heard of someone asking for a week to wait on other results, the judge agreeing, the candidate calling back at the end of the week only to be told that the position has been filled.

By the way, I wouldn't say that you need "a few days to think it over" unless you like sounding like a disingenuous tool. This isn't a major life decision, you aren't mulling over a compensation packages, it's an summer internship. Just ask when he needs a firm commitment from you. If the timeline doesn't work for you, politely decline and explain why.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Judicial Internship - answer on the spot?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

It's acceptable to ask if he would be willing to give you some time. Then you need to follow up with your other potential opportunities.

However, I do wonder why you're considering a state trial judge over those paid positions? Are you just risk-averse?

Return to “Legal Employment”