Bringing Family Members to Visit Your Office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bringing Family Members to Visit Your Office

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 am

Does anyone know what the policy is for this? In financial services this was usually fine after hours. I was wondering if there was any rules or etiquette to follow with law firms and having your spouse or kids come by to take in the view?

Anonymous User

Re: Bringing Family Members to Visit Your Office

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the policy is for this? In financial services this was usually fine after hours. I was wondering if there was any rules or etiquette to follow with law firms and having your spouse or kids come by to take in the view?

I wouldn't do it. I tried to show my gf my office during the summer on a Saturday. Ran right into the boss outside the building. It was quite awkward...

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the policy is for this? In financial services this was usually fine after hours. I was wondering if there was any rules or etiquette to follow with law firms and having your spouse or kids come by to take in the view?

I wouldn't do it. I tried to show my gf my office during the summer on a Saturday. Ran right into the boss outside the building. It was quite awkward...

Did the partner boss try to hit on your girlfriend?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 am

ajax adonis wrote:Are you an associate (as opposed to SA)? What do other people do?

Not sure, haven't started full time yet so that's why I was asking.

Torney12

Postby Torney12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am

It's not a big deal as long as you're not a nuisance to others. This means no roaming the halls, making noise, chattering loudly, or otherwise disturbing people's work. Avoid giving them a tour of floors where people are working and if your kids are small or disobedient, don't bring them. Also, no matter how cute you think your kid is, resist the urge to knock on colleagues' doors to make intros to your kid. You will just annoy people.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't do this as a summer intern, but it's probably not really a big deal as an associate. I assume you could just come up with and excuse, like I needed to get X out of my office and I was out with my girlfriend in the neighborhood.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48 am

I am currently clerking in a V20 firm, and they have an explicit policy against this

v20lawyer

Postby v20lawyer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

This is (obviously) firm and office dependent. In my office I've seen someone's wife and kid (around 1 yr) come in because they were going out to lunch and it was no big deal. Bringing family up on a saturday or sunday is absolutely no big deal here. I would probably go so far as to say that every lawyer in the office has done it at least once or twice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm

This may be difficult with some people (kids obviously, among others) but if the visitors are dressed to blend in and the firm is large enough, would anyone even know? At my ~200 lawyers SA firm, there must be at least 400 employees walking around in business casual. No one would notice a new face walking around the hallways with me. I could very easily pull this off even if it were forbidden. Not that I would necessarily risk it in that case...

At my previous jobs at large corporations, we were required to visibly wear ID badges, and were encouraged to question new faces which lacked one. That and the fact that everyone knew everyone (thanks to cubicles instead of offices) would have made it difficult to sneak visitors in.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

v20lawyer wrote:This is (obviously) firm and office dependent. In my office I've seen someone's wife and kid (around 1 yr) come in because they were going out to lunch and it was no big deal. Bringing family up on a saturday or sunday is absolutely no big deal here. I would probably go so far as to say that every lawyer in the office has done it at least once or twice.

OP Here, this seems to be pretty close to the policy in bulge bracket banks, no one ever had a problem with my wife coming up to wait for a bit for me to finish up when we went out to dinner etc. My boss's kids would often mess up my whiteboard with cartoons for me come monday morning. Just wanted to ask because the view is really great at the new office :) I guess I'll observe for a bit and follow what I see.

Return to “Legal Employment”