1L Judicial Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Judicial Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 am

Scheduled an interview with Judge A from county district court, then received an offer by e-mail less than 30 minutes later from Judge B in the same type of court. Accepted Judge B, and cancelled the interview with Judge A because I didn't think it would be beneficial to work in the same area of law all summer. Would it be rude to wait to withdraw my other applications for the rest of the district courts? Career Services says to go ahead and withdraw all of them immediately, but I only turned down an interview and not an offer, so I just wanted to make sure this isn't something they're making a bigger deal out of than it really is.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: 1L Judicial Internship

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Scheduled an interview with Judge A from county district court, then received an offer by e-mail less than 30 minutes later from Judge B in the same type of court. Accepted Judge B, and cancelled the interview with Judge A because I didn't think it would be beneficial to work in the same area of law all summer. Would it be rude to wait to withdraw my other applications for the rest of the district courts? Career Services says to go ahead and withdraw all of them immediately, but I only turned down an interview and not an offer, so I just wanted to make sure this isn't something they're making a bigger deal out of than it really is.

I'm not quite sure I understand: Are you asking if you should withdraw your applications from the judges you applied to now that you've already accepted a judicial internship for the summer? If you are not planning on splitting your summer, then yes, withdraw from consideration. (That said, it's not like there is an obligation to inform every judge you applied to that you're withdrawing from consideration.) If you are trying to split your summer between two judges, then don't. (If you weren't planning on splitting, then of course you should have withdrawn from Judge B [edit: oops, meant Judge A]. If you are trying to split, then maybe you should have done the interview with Judge B [edit: oops, meant Judge A] to maximize your chances at splitting, but I don't see it being a big deal.)
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Scheduled an interview with Judge A from county district court, then received an offer by e-mail less than 30 minutes later from Judge B in the same type of court. Accepted Judge B, and cancelled the interview with Judge A because I didn't think it would be beneficial to work in the same area of law all summer. Would it be rude to wait to withdraw my other applications for the rest of the district courts? Career Services says to go ahead and withdraw all of them immediately, but I only turned down an interview and not an offer, so I just wanted to make sure this isn't something they're making a bigger deal out of than it really is.

I'm not quite sure I understand: Are you asking if you should withdraw your applications from the judges you applied to now that you've already accepted a judicial internship for the summer? If you are not planning on splitting your summer, then yes, withdraw from consideration. (That said, it's not like there is an obligation to inform every judge you applied to that you're withdrawing from consideration.) If you are trying to split your summer between two judges, then don't. (If you weren't planning on splitting, then of course you should have withdrawn from Judge B. If you are trying to split, then maybe you should have done the interview with Judge B to maximize your chances at splitting, but I don't see it being a big deal.)

Sorry, should have clarified! Yes, I'm trying to split the summer, it's in Texas so I'll be working the first half of the summer with this judge and I'm trying to fill my second half with something. They are both with a type of law that I'm not particularly interested in practicing when I graduate so I didn't want to have just that type of experience on my resume.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand: Are you asking if you should withdraw your applications from the judges you applied to now that you've already accepted a judicial internship for the summer? If you are not planning on splitting your summer, then yes, withdraw from consideration. (That said, it's not like there is an obligation to inform every judge you applied to that you're withdrawing from consideration.) If you are trying to split your summer between two judges, then don't. (If you weren't planning on splitting, then of course you should have withdrawn from Judge B[edit: oops, meant Judge A]. If you are trying to split, then maybe you should have done the interview with Judge B[edit: oops, meant Judge A] to maximize your chances at splitting, but I don't see it being a big deal.)

Sorry, should have clarified! Yes, I'm trying to split the summer, it's in Texas so I'll be working the first half of the summer with this judge and I'm trying to fill my second half with something. They are both with a type of law that I'm not particularly interested in practicing when I graduate so I didn't want to have just that type of experience on my resume.

Ah, okay. So career services is saying since you cancelled an interview with Judge A, it would be bad form to wait to hear back (and potentially interview) with other judges? That makes some sense--withdrawing because your summer is one thing, withdrawing because you just don't want to work for a judge anymore is something different. If it's something like you got an internship at a bankruptcy court the first half, and you want to try and do a district court for the second half, then that's understandable. If you haven't already clearly explained your situation to career services, I would go back and mention what you just told me: you really wanted to try out a specialty court, but you don't think it's likely to be the type of law you want to do after graduation (and that's why you still want to try and intern for judges doing more general stuff). (It is a specialty court, right? That's what it sounds like from how you just described it to me, though I'm not sure how a county district court is a specialty court. Feel free to PM if you want to explicitly say what courts, though you should feel fine doing it as an anon user.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand: Are you asking if you should withdraw your applications from the judges you applied to now that you've already accepted a judicial internship for the summer? If you are not planning on splitting your summer, then yes, withdraw from consideration. (That said, it's not like there is an obligation to inform every judge you applied to that you're withdrawing from consideration.) If you are trying to split your summer between two judges, then don't. (If you weren't planning on splitting, then of course you should have withdrawn from Judge B[edit: oops, meant Judge A]. If you are trying to split, then maybe you should have done the interview with Judge B[edit: oops, meant Judge A] to maximize your chances at splitting, but I don't see it being a big deal.)

Ah, okay. So career services is saying since you cancelled an interview with Judge A, it would be bad form to wait to hear back (and potentially interview) with other judges? That makes some sense--withdrawing because your summer is one thing, withdrawing because you just don't want to work for a judge anymore is something different. If it's something like you got an internship at a bankruptcy court the first half, and you want to try and do a district court for the second half, then that's understandable. If you haven't already clearly explained your situation to career services, I would go back and mention what you just told me: you really wanted to try out a specialty court, but you don't think it's likely to be the type of law you want to do after graduation. (It is a specialty court, right? That's what it sounds like from how you just described it to me, though I'm not sure how a county district court is a specialty court. Feel free to PM if you want to explicitly say what courts, though you should feel fine doing it as an anon user.)

Exactly. Its Harris county district courts, and they're both family courts doing pretty much the same thing. While interning for one of the judges for half of the summer is fine, spending the whole summer doing the same thing with different judges when I'm not focused on family law seems silly. Career Services knows everything, they were the ones telling me I should cancel the interview if I already got an offer and I'm not crazy about family law. I applied to Federal courts & CoA too but they said not to withdraw from those since its a different level, I just doubt I'll get anything from that level. :|

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Ah, okay. So career services is saying since you cancelled an interview with Judge A, it would be bad form to wait to hear back (and potentially interview) with other judges? That makes some sense--withdrawing because your summer is one thing, withdrawing because you just don't want to work for a judge anymore is something different. If it's something like you got an internship at a bankruptcy court the first half, and you want to try and do a district court for the second half, then that's understandable. If you haven't already clearly explained your situation to career services, I would go back and mention what you just told me: you really wanted to try out a specialty court, but you don't think it's likely to be the type of law you want to do after graduation. (It is a specialty court, right? That's what it sounds like from how you just described it to me, though I'm not sure how a county district court is a specialty court. Feel free to PM if you want to explicitly say what courts, though you should feel fine doing it as an anon user.)

Exactly. Its Harris county district courts, and they're both family courts doing pretty much the same thing. While interning for one of the judges for half of the summer is fine, spending the whole summer doing the same thing with different judges when I'm not focused on family law seems silly. Career Services knows everything, they were the ones telling me I should cancel the interview if I already got an offer and I'm not crazy about family law. I applied to Federal courts & CoA too but they said not to withdraw from those since its a different level, I just doubt I'll get anything from that level. :|

Well it looks like it's already all been sorted out--your first post had me a little confused on the advice they were giving you. Seems like you have the right idea: test out an area of law to see if there might be any potential interest (and if not, it's good to know you don't have an interest in that area) and then try to apply to courts doing other things. Withdrawing from the other judge seems perfectly reasonable to me (as does withdrawing from any other judges doing mostly all family law), and then keep trying to get a district court or COA internship (or see what else there is you could apply to).

Return to “Legal Employment”