Those lucky few

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Those lucky few

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP --

Congratulations on all your success so far. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but getting a job in biglaw is not some holy grail. You haven't made it yet.

You may know that most biglaw associates do not remain at their firm for more than a few years and do not make partner. Many end up getting laid off or pushed out the door after a short period. Others that remain with their firm find themselves miserably unhappy, working ridiculous hours, unable to spend much time with their family, and unlikely to advance in the ranks of the firm. All of the above are people you now group under the label "the lucky few."

Getting the job is only the first step, and getting the SA is akin to getting your shoes laced up for the journey. You have been very fortunate and successful so far, but past results are no guarantee of future success. You'll never know what opportunities you might have had if you had only applied yourself. And you can only hope that one day you aren't telling yourself "If only..."

A stranger's advice: put your intellect to good use and apply yourself. You have put yourself in a terrific position to be successful, but your work habits will catch up to you. Your firm overlords will not look kindly on them, to begin, which makes you very likely to end up in the sub-category of the "lucky few" that fall on their ass at some point. If you continue to do only the minimum, eventually you'll come up short. And you'll feel an awful lot of guilt at that point about the opportunities you squandered.

Good luck to you.

this is the sorta thing i've been looking for. thank you for refocusing me in this post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Torney12 wrote:I must have misread the original post because it seems to me that the grand accomplishment that you're boasting about is being a 2L with the opportunity to summer at a firm and not even a top firm at that. You don't have a permanent offer for post-graduation employment and you have yet to even get through the summer. I'm probably showing my age here, but back in my day, people trolled by sharing truly amazing and rare accomplishments, not middling opportunities that thousands of others also have access to. Your accomplishment is noteworthy only because the economy is bad, not because you've done anything remarkable.

it wasnt a troll, it was me genuinely feeling weird about my current position. i dont think i have done anything remarkable, just that i have been lucky. and i agree that i have a long way to go and will have to buck up once real work starts (assuming i get a permanent offer). thanks for your input.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:What is the point of this thread, to see if there are other spoiled rich kids with mediocre ability and minimal drive who get jobs that they dont really deserve?

not spoiled or rich, don't have mediocre ability/minimal drive. clearly your reading comprehension is low...that or you're just a nasty person. thanks though! good luck to you

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm

My LSAT wasn't so great (around 80th percentile) and I am not URM, but thankfully, I had a particularly great connection that got me through when I may not have otherwise. I got into a great T14 as a K-JD....
I also have pretty limited loans (around 50k when all is said and done) thanks to parent help.

I smell rich.

Also I think this is anon abuse

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

All I can say is congrats!? You made it. Everyone is dealt a hand and its up to the holder to make the best of them. While there is always some luck involved, I wouldn't necessarily say it was all luck in your case. You mentioned you worked like crazy networking, that takes some foresight, and apparently someone at a min of 3 firms saw something in you they liked. Some will make it because of grades, some because of personality, some because of connections and others will use a combination of the three. Apparently you found the equation that works for you.

That said I would not take that attitude when you begin working. Work hard, and make the most of the opportunity you've created.

And like others have said, you should think wisely about how you word things, does come off as arrogant whether or not that was your intention.

But again congrats, and best of luck to you!
Last edited by griffin.811 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vinnnyvincenzo wrote:What is the point of this thread, to see if there are other spoiled rich kids with mediocre ability and minimal drive who get jobs that they dont really deserve?

not spoiled or rich, don't have mediocre ability/minimal drive. clearly your reading comprehension is low...that or you're just a nasty person. thanks though! good luck to you

I may have mistook you for another Anon who posted how his/her father paid for law school in full and was buying them a house in whichever city they so choose, hence my spoiled rich kid remark, so yes I suppose reading comp fail. As for minimal drive, I think you have said multiple times you do the bare minimum to succeed which, to me, sounds like minimal drive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I may have mistook you for another Anon who posted how his/her father paid for law school in full and was buying them a house in whichever city they so choose, hence my spoiled rich kid remark, so yes I suppose reading comp fail. As for minimal drive, I think you have said multiple times you do the bare minimum to succeed which, to me, sounds like minimal drive.

totally fair. i have been describing it as "minimum effort needed to achieve optimal results", which doesnt necessarily imply that the effort put in is minimal...depends what the goal is and how obtainable it is, i suppose.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
My LSAT wasn't so great (around 80th percentile) and I am not URM, but thankfully, I had a particularly great connection that got me through when I may not have otherwise. I got into a great T14 as a K-JD....
I also have pretty limited loans (around 50k when all is said and done) thanks to parent help.

I smell rich.

Wait, your parents putting out of their pocket a minimum of 160k over three years, plus what they must have put for college, is considered rich these days? Damn Obama, you really brought these country down.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Pokemon wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

I smell rich.

Wait, your parents putting out of their pocket a minimum of 160k over three years, plus what they must have put for college, is considered rich these days? Damn Obama, you really brought these country down.

Not like $160k/3 is more than the median household income in the United States pre-recession...oh wait

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 pm

The internet is not your therapist.
No one gives a shit about your whiny privileged life.
Go away.

Return to “Legal Employment”